Register To Comment
Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Team MedBots

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone used some form of lubrication for their hw gearboxes? I was thinking of perhaps graphite or grease? If I did would I have to seal up the entire gearbox?

If the gearbox is open, don't use grease.

As Trevor says, grinding paste is grease with abrasive stuff in it.

Right then no grease! I've found that by gripping the axel of my motor ,which pokes out the back of the motor, in a cordless drill chuck and running it works well to 'break in' the gearbox and remove some of the tight points without straining the motor at all!

Good news! I have finally finished my heavyweight gearboxes! They are 10-1 for for use with 8 or 10 inch wheels. They run on Bosch 400s on 12v but I may upgrade to 18v. They use MOD 1.5 gears from technobots, most the gears were 30-40% off!
    Here is a picture:

And a video:

Also I have nearly finished my FP pneumatic ram which I made all by myself at school- very chuffed! I just need to drill ports-

Next job is to make up a manifold to connect everything tomorrow them can pipe up all pneumatics and then make a body for the robot.

Any questions or comments welcome!
    Max
    Last edited by Max; 25th July 2013 at 20:16.

How heavy is the piston and rod?

The whole ram ways 3.5kgs, the rod is 20mm stainless rod. It is 63mm bore, 145mm stroke. So it weighs more than it needs to but better to be safe than sorry! The walls are about 6mm aluminium and the end caps are 30mm thick aluminium, its held togther by 8M6 tie rods all 2mm away from the wall of the tube- should do the job.

I don't know the weight of just the rod and plunger but can weight it tomorrow for you, why do you ask?

keeping the moving weight down is a good enginering practice.

Ok I'll weigh it tomorrow, the end cap is pretty thick so should be alright- I'm going to attach some sort of spike to the end as the weapon (not very effective but quite fun) so that could also add some weight. I may add some rubber disks to the inside to act as dampers.
    I guess for a spike weapon some inertia is a good thing!

Nice job on the gearboxes. What's the diameter of the output shaft?

Register To Comment