Register To Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mr.Purple (FW)

I thought I'll start with Mr.Purple's build diary. I won't start building him until 3-4 weeks time, because I have decided to start building Rukia first and it's been 2 years since I begun building.

So I'll tell you about Mr.Purple, it's a 2 wheel drive rambot that can run upside down. I know, I have Mr.Pink who is a 2 wheel drive rambot but I'm trying to build it in a different way, pretty much I like to try and weld it together.

Motors - 2x Graupner Speed 900

Speed controller's - x2 Victor 883 or I may go for x2 ESCheap85. they are modified or hacked brushed speed controller's.

Radio Gear - I like to try something different and go for the Futaba 4PL 4, but I don't know how friendly it is to robots.

Armor - 5mm Mild Steel and 3mm Mild Steel base and top.

Battery - x1 14.8v 5100mAh LiPo.

Gear Ratio - 20 teeth with 95 teeth.

I plan to start on Mr Purple soon.

Well at last, I have started a mock up of Mr Purple.
    This is a ruff idea of the shape I have but this may change In time.
    The part's I still need to get are the gears and the battery.

[attachment=1:1pk09btf]IMG_1912.JPG[/attachment:1pk09btf]
    [attachment=0:1pk09btf]IMG_1913.JPG[/attachment:1pk09btf]

I know it looks big, but remember this is only a ruff idea.

I'm just hoping that the 4mm mild steel base and top with 5mm armour will be under 13kg.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like to know if there's an existing gearbox, that will work with the Speed 900's? Or do they have to be custom made?

The reason is that I have just tested Mr Pink's pushing power. I put weights in a box (over 13.6KG) If you have seen the Leeds event video were when Pink push a robot it's slow, not fast and brutal.

You thought that 20T to 90T would be quick and powerful. I don't know why it's doing this but If I put a gearbox on the 900's, it may give a better performance on pushing power for Mr Purple.

Ask Dave about what he uses in Satanix. Your design is virtually identical.

He uses a 6:1 reduction and had 130mm wheels, which I believe 100mm wheels with a layer of bike tyre screwed to the outside.

Its then powered by a 5 cell Lipo.

(Sorry if that is wrong Dave!)

Almost spot on Alex . My wheels are 130 mm without the tread, about 140 with the tread thickness.

Lack of pushing power could be due to many things, I doubt gearbox type is the reason.

Satanix uses a spur and pinion set up, Speed900s and pushes very well.

Bad weight distribution, poor grip, ESCs not delivering enough amps, incorrect gear ratio/wheel size could all cause it.

Plus a box has lots of friction, it's whole base is touching the floor, carpet is grippy etc....

Battery choice is also a big factor. If your batteries can't deliver the amps then your motors will not perform

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver
    Battery choice is also a big factor. If your batteries can't deliver the amps then your motors will not perform
    This. This and efficiency in the wiring. If not enough power is generated and/or the power isn't delivered efficiently, you'll lose performance.

Another thing for getting the massive pushing power effect is design. If you lift the opponent's wheels even a millimetre off the ground you're reducing (or removing entirely) resistance and you'll be winning.

Register To Comment