Register To Comment
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The OddBots Championship

Thanks for the entry - I don't suppose you'd mind doing me a quick sketch in paint so I can picture what it looks like?

I owe some apologies here - to Alex for being late, to Jordan for inadvertedly copying his armour idea, and to everyone for the quality of these stats XD I did do most of them at 3am last night in a surge of creativity, so they may be subject to revision when reality sets in.

Anyway, je te presente:
    Broken Wings

Weight: 100kg
    Dimensions: 100 x 80 x 24 cm
    Shape: There is a render coming up, but for now: A box possessing wedges on all sides, with the front wedge being shallower than the rear wedge, which is in turn shallower than the side wedges.
    Colour: White - the armour and chassis are coated in a calcium silicate based substance for fireproofing - with some black trim.
    Drive: Two Yamaha 550cc motorbike starter motors, run from a 17ah 12v Odyssey SLA battery giving about 1kw each. The motors each drive eight 2014 aluminium legs (for 16 in total) in an arrangement similar to the antweight Type 0 (which is more or less the bottom half of the Anarchy/Scuttle system with the tops of the legs held semi-captive - this is a bit more resistant to damage than Anarchy and more compact) through a 2.5:1 gear ratio. This gives the drive system very good speed (~12mph maximum) for a walker, and the high torque from the two starter motors should give it enough pushing power to be competitive - in theory. The legs have urethane rubber 'feet' over spiked ends so that if the rubber is torn away, the legs can still grip (if anything, even better) and the entire base panel is also coated in flame retardant rubber making it difficult to push the robot around.
    Speed: 12mph
    Turning circle: Zero
    Ground clearance: 0 at the front, maintained by a pair of 3mm titanium hinged forks, with the sides and back varying from near 0 close to the front to between 5-15mm at the back due to the walking gait; however this is under 5mm FR4 fibreglass skirts.
    Chassis: 2014 aluminium in tube, plate, box section and various angles in a space frame, cross braced as much as is practical within the weight to provide support for the legs and make the robot much less reliant on its armour for protection (aided by there being quite a bit of space between the outer armour and any vital components)
    Armour: 5mm FR4 fibreglass/Garolite, reinforced at the front and top with 10mm birch plywood beneath.
    Weapons: The main weapon is a 65cm pneumatic axe, constructed of 2014 aluminium with a P20 tool steel spike tipped with a diamond crystal, run on CO2 from a modified Sodastream bottle and 2 litre buffer tank at 20 bar to a 50mm bore 200mm stroke ram on a Shunt-esque linkage, giving 400kg force at the ram. The combination of fairly low pressure and fairly cautious use of the axe (me being paranoid and keeping some gas back for self righting) should ensure that the gas supply is adequate for a fight.
    Srimech: The axe - the robot can't land on any side other than its back or base.
    Notes: Pretty much everything inside, where practical, has rubber mounts and other devices to protect it from a) shocks induced by large rotating objects and b) vibrations from its own walking mechanism.
    Strengths: Speedy for a walker with good maneuvrability, stable, good weaponry, and Richard Page
    Weaknesses: The armour - although the strength of the chassis should minimise this being an issue - and anything involving pegasi

Rough weight breakdown:

Chassis: 40kg
    Drive and all associated electronics and mechanics: 30kg
    Armour: 15kg
    Weapons: 15kg

Hopefully this is okay Alex ^^

Here you go!

Name - One for the Money

Shape - Render coming soon, but generally it is what you might imagine an invertible horizontal thwackbot with wheel guards would look like.

Weight - 100 Kilogram

Speed - 29 km/h (18mph)

Dimensions - 120x60x30 cm

Ground Clearance - 1 cm under the actual, you know, body, pretty damn massive everywhere else

Power - 2x LEM130s at 48v

Movement - 2 wheels baby

Turning Circle - Zero

Weaponry - One big effing pole running through the body of the robot, with on one end a massive concrete head of a sledgehammer, and on the other a horizontal diamond rescue circular saw blade powered by a Mag that is part of the pole. Linear actuators can move the whole pole forward and backward, so that I can either have a thwack with a hammer at the end and a sawblade close to the main body, OR the saw at the end of the thwack and the hammer head closer to the main body.

Armour - A monocoque of 2 mm depleted uranium sandwiched between 2 layers of polyurethane foam for shock protection on the inside and outside!

Srimech - It€™s invertible!

Thats our roster full!

1) Killswitch: Engage (Lewis)
    - Choice:
    2) Poison Ivy (Jordan)
    - Choice: Weapon
    3) Look Out Below (Max)
    4) Tweedles (Jack)
    5) Broken Wings (Joey)
    6) One For the Money (Martijn)
    - Choice: Transport

I'll have a thorough read through all the stats in the next few days to make sure everyone meets the entry requirements, but barring that, hopefully we'll see the first fight before Friday!

I have no idea how this will fare, but here goes nothing...

----

Legion

Shape: A box with a front wedge, sharpened as much as possible at the end to give the lowest ground clearance there. Render to come, I guess...

Colour: n/a

Weight: 100kg, hopefully...

Motors: 2 LEM130s @ 49.5v geared 6:1 for average speed, acceleration, and control

Power: 5 packs of 15 M1 A123 Lithium-Ion cells

Motivation: 4WD, with the wheels cambered inwards 26 degrees for better turning ability.

Top Speed: 15-20mph

Chassis: 5mm Steel box section, reinforced with plywood in key areas.

Armour: Attached to the chassis are several, several layers of interwoven carbon fibre threadings. By themselves (according to the website I got it at), the threads are very strong, but when interwoven in layers, to the point where the thickness is 10mm, this is pretty damn resilient. This armour is found everywhere except the baseplate and front wedge, which are 4mm nickel-beryllium alloy.

Ground Clearance: 0mm at the front, 20+mm everywhere else

Dimensions in CM: God knows :P I'll see where the render takes me :P

Weaponry: Inside the front wedge is a hole, from which a tethered chain enters, and on the end of the chain is a barbed spike. It is fired using full-pressure pneumatics, and then pulled back by a winch. If a robot gets reeled in by it, or Legion gets reeled towards the robot, they'll end up stuck on the wedge, and Legion can then shove it around. Powered by a 2kg CO2 tank, it can fire around...maybe 20 times in a fight?

Srimech: Invertible.

----

Please be gentle with your flaming.

----

EDIT: ...wha...how did the tournament get full without my knowledge...

Hey, Sorry it took so long. Loads of GCSE stuff came up...

Name: Pennyroyal T

Shape: A T shape, with the legs mounted inside the robot at the rear (that is the - section) and the disk mounted on the longer | section. There is also a hinged wedge at the rear of the robot behind the wheels. If its hard to understand drop me a line and i can whip up a sketch or something.

Weight: 100 Kilograms

Speed: 12mph

Dimensions: 110x50x30 cm

Ground Clearance: 0mm under the wedge,

Power: 2x LEM motors on 48v (2x 24v A123 packs).

Locomotion: A simple leg mechanism, 4 legs per side, each mounted inside the robot and tall enough to poke out both sides thus making it invertible. Each side is powered by one motor via a custom gearbox.

Turning Circle: Zero

Weaponry: A 40mm spinning Hardox bar powered by 2 magmotors.

Armour: 7mm Hardox all over

Srimech: Invertible, also Zeus... and teacakes.

Hope thats okay?

EDIT: Wait what? Did i reserve a place?

Quote Originally Posted by alex_holt
    As people are taking their time a bit just as a bit of impetuts to get this going, I'm going to say that unclaimed reservations run out from Monday. Which at the current rate of entering should still give everyone a good opportunity to enter, but might hopefully result in one or two entries appearing.
    !

Well as we now have a 8/6 roster spaces, I'll expand it to 8 spots, although I'm going to keep with a 4-way final rather than 1v1 all the way round just because I think it'd be a bit more fun.

On the flipside of that, there are still some revisions people are going to need.

Pennyroyal T - At the minute your robot doesn't meet the entry requirements at all - you mention wheels (transport category) hardox (armour category) and a spinning bar (weapon category) so you need to ditch two of those for replacements.

Legion - Sorry to be a pain, but I did specifically mention that wedges were considered weaponry, and while I'm not going to be as tough as saying no tapered fronts are allowed, but nothing that looks like its mainly designed to get under robots.

Tweedles - Meets the rules, but you are going to we a significant degree overweight mainly due to the armour.... iridium is 3 times heavier than steel and twice as heavy as lead...

LOB - 20kg is fairly excessively heavy for a spike and probably puts you well overweight, for comparrison Mortis' axe blade weighed 3kg. If you were going for the terrorhurtz bludgeoning kind of axe that'd make sense, but even then its a bit excessive. I'd suggest you either reduce the weight to under 5kg, or change it to a terrorhurtz style blade and take it down to 12 or something.

I'm not the kind of person who forces people to weigh up alll their components (because I can't be bothered to check their workings) but if there is something that blatantly looks excessive I will question that in the sense of fairness.

There may be one or two other bits and bobs I'll spot, but thats a start for people to do revisions to.

Register To Comment