Register To Comment
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The OddBots Championship

You do realise that you can shatter diamonds with a hammer? Hard but brittle.

anything but wood will do :P

Thing is wood would actually be a decent choice given the limited range of materials.

interesting design lewis, but Im wondering if a scoop might be considered a wedge by the rulings or not ... but its only 1 setup... splendid machine

Good start, I assume your category was transport?

I've only got two things I'll bring up:

1) Though while you can have diamond in the rules, you can't really get sheets of diamond, what you could have would perhaps be loads of diamonds set in some other material to hold them together. Any plastic or metal not mentioned would do, tho the results would probably be fairly brittle unless the base material was thick enough.

2) I'm not entirely sure where scoops fall in regards to wedges, I'll allow it this time, but that might be up for review in there is an Oddbots II :P

Which leaves us with the current entries standing at:

1) Killswitch: Engage (Lewis)
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?
    5) ?
    6) ?

Time for a quick prod - any more entries?

My half baked entry for the weapon category. If you need any clarification just say and I can come up with a diagram or something.

Name: Poison Ivy.

Shape: Irregular pentagonal prism (think house).

Weight: 100kg.

Dimensions: 70cm*70cm*22cm(l*w*h).

Colour: Ivy pattern body with orangey/red bar tips.

Locomotion: A rubber coated aluminium hemisphere attached to each side of the bar and a pair of cams to tilt the robot. Tilting the robot changes the hemisphere's contact angle so causes the robot to move.
    (If you don't like that the hemispheres could be made from nylon and attached to the chassis. Tilting the robot causes it to move via gyroscopic precession).

Drive power: The cams are powered by a 24v DeWalt Hammerdrill run on 36v geared down by some ratio to give about a 40mm range of motion (20mm up 20mm down) quickly. They're run like servos.

Ground clearance: 25mm

Batteries: 4*10 cell A123 M1 packs in parallel (basically 4xDeWalt DC9360).

Armour: 30mm thick FR4 Glass Reinforced Epoxy (pcb material) top and bottom.

Weapon: Ti-6Al-4V bar with and s7 tips (2kg each) powered by a Turnigy 80-100-A 130Kv Brushless Outrunner on 36v (4500ish rpm, 1m long, 50kg including tips).

Speed: Some :P

Turning Circle: 0m (I think).

I think a diagram is definitly in order, as I draw a blank when trying to picture this!

[attachment=0:7s95i8i5]Poison Ivy.png[/attachment:7s95i8i5]

The hemispheres are attached to the bar so spin with it. When the giant servo/cam things are in the centre position the robot goes nowhere. By raising and lowering each side of the robot the contact angle of the hemisphere and the ground changes driving the robot.

In this picture raise left and lower right to go forwards, the opposite to go backwards, Raise both to turn right and the opposite to turn left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know you said it was too late to claim the 7th spot but if no one has decided on their robot I might as well try!!!
    Name: look out below (or lob for short)
    Weight: 100kg
    Shape:horizontal 3/4 of a cylinder 1300mm long and a diameter of 550mm
    Wheels/Motivation: it's a walker, it uses the same system as spiderbot, the legs are made from 20mm hdpe
    Motors: Bosch 750s running at 36v
    Speed: not the fastest of robots but quite fast for a walker due to high gear ratio- around 12mph but not very good at pushing
    Turning circle: 0m
    Armour: 10mm carbon fibre with a 4mm layer of rubber to absorb impacts
    Ground clearance: large ground clearance due to walking mechanism- 180mm
    Srimech : uses the 3/4 cylinder shape to role back over
    Weapon: big axe with a 20kg tool steel spike as axe head! Powered by 75mm bore 500mm stroke full pressure ram single acting ram through a rack and pinion system. Has a custom made main tank simular dimensions to a 2kg fire extinguisher but with a 75mm outlet with a hydraulic ball valve on it and made from aluminium. It has another 75mm ball valve inlet to the ram for a large flow but the system doesn't have a buffer tank!!! The axe retracts using bungee cord to give more hit but it can't use it for self righting. The axe arm is 1m long so have a big reach.

Hope that all sounds ok as this is my first time at vapourbots :blush:

Register To Comment