Register To Comment
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimson Robotics

Here's an eBay supplier for the type used in the GR01's: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-M4-M5-M6-M ... _500wt_922
    You'll need an Arbor press to get them into the material.
    Nylon is pretty ideal for them, you'd need a different kind for softer plastics like HDPE though- something with bigger 'splines' or an external larger pitch thread.

Perfect! Cheers Ewan.

they look like the threaded inserts i got off ebay

Looking to get a set of the 14.4v motors when they come back in stock (looks like that'll be today/tomorrow) so was really hoping for some reviews after Barnsley, cheers Harry

That reminds me; had one of the bearings pop out of the front plate of one of the gearboxes yesterday. I put this down to the violent behaviour of the robot as I spun up a horribly imbalanced drum.

Easy enough to pop back in, and not a problem that's likely to occur if you use the front plate as the mounting point. I mount mine using the bottom fixings but will probably put a thin cover on the front plate to keep it secured. Didn't seem to impair the drive though.

That is good information k_c_r. Adding a thin plate in front of the bearing won't harm anything.

Even a small strip just edging the bearing will do.

That's what put me of buying these in the first place as I mentioned on page 1;

What's stopping that front bearing poping out? Circlip on the output shaft?

Ewans response;

Re Dave: The bearings are press-fits (there's two, another on the hidden side of the Nylon front section), which is a more permanent solution in Nylon (as opposed to aluminium say) given its ability to deflect and maintain a compressive force on the outer bearing ring. They're not going anywhere basically, especially considering the lack of axial loads on them

I'd suggest aluminium to be a better bearing housing IMO, and as Jamie has proven... They are going anywhere.... Might suggest a circlip on the output to help retain it, and/or machine some thin front plates.

Self made ali front bearing retaining plate £0.0

Turned and milled Gimson GR01 mkII guestimated £45

Yet again you fail to see the point mario...

If you purchased a new car with m6 wheel nuts and the wheels kept falling of you wouldn't change them for bigger ones... You'd expect the manufacturer to get it right.

Register To Comment