Register To Comment
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Gimson Robotics

The shafts are standard drill shafts so I'm going to assume the answer is no.

As Gary said, I'm quite sure they're mass produced shafts for drills that Ewan puts flats on.

Could you not extend the shaft by tapping a suitably sized steel tube (12mm OD) with a 3/8th thread and tightening it hard onto the end with a bunch of loctite?

If thats the case then I will just extend the shaft with Ellis method. Might even be better as then I can support it at the other end.

Gary and Ellis are correct, the gearboxes would be almost twice as expensive if the shafts were completely custom. As it is they are made in batches of tens of thousands for cordless drills and the only modification is the machined flat along the 12mm section.

Hi Ewan, how come you're not at the champs this year? Weren't you working on something big and tracked for last year?
    On another note, what grease do you use in your gearboxes?

Final year of university, in the middle of writing my dissertation at the moment about this thing:

Lithium grease is best, there's quite a few eBay sellers with tubes or tubs of it.

:S

A Chewing Simulator!

Yeah, you get a bit of a push in a subject direction depending on your supervisor's area of expertise, at Bristol at least.

Blimey, I didn't know Wrigley's were that underhand. Why don't they employ someone?

Students are always viewed by big business as being free/cheap labour to research stuff.

Register To Comment