So I mentioned this briefly in amongst the active weapon debate but thought I'd get people's opinions and thoughts on the matter.

The idea is simple, for structure and armour your robot may only use wood. With the use of space age materials like Ti and Hardox becoming so prolific most fights seem to turn into ¼ber boxes bashing into each other. This is particularly noticeable at HW events and in FW's at non-spinner events, and sparked the whole active weapon debate. Now this is the basic premise and is open for discussion.

I often going to Banger racing and Destruction Derby shows and the fun and entertainment for the audience is in the crashes, the destruction and the speed. The car's don't have active weaponary, and in most cases don't resemble cars anymore, or are dark blue Ford Modeos with all the trim taken out.... The point is it's fun to watch because it's loud, it's fast and you see stuff get destroyed and that's it! There's no music, special effects, lighting, on going commentating, the race speaks for itself and entertains. Furthermore special events are held such as Caravan Destruction Derbys where each car has to tow a caravan to the death, and this is even more fun.

So linking back to robots, if a few people make robots out of wood then they would be easy to destroy, easy to fix, not expensive to build and puts everyone on an even playing field. I'm not suggesting everyone should make one, or even stop the current robots, the already have their place, I'm suggesting a side category.

Additional advantages are wood is easy to work with, using very common tools, and can be destroyed quite spectacularly by common tools. Drills, Saws, Chainsaws etc......

All the expensive bits can be kept in a metal box in the heart of the robot, while the outside is destroyed for a laugh and entertainment.

Thoughts?