Register To Comment
Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Robot Class

Managed to finish off BitzaWood today. Although it's got some ESC issues. Used the same type that Guilherme had in Galactus but there is a major delay (1-2s) between Fwd and Rev, which makes it near impossible to drive.
    It also doesn't failsafe on the drive at all!
    Changed the weapon control to one of those Turnigy 30a £8 controllers, works nicely and failsafes.

Here are some photos, I'll chop up some wood at some point:

Lid off:

Lid on:

The Insides (Almost Jamie compact in there!):

Very nice PJ, I approve of the compactness!
    I assume you made the clearance cutouts for the discs just by spinning them up and putting the wood in place?

Cheers!

Haha, well I tried to cut them before hand, but I was a slightly out on my measurements shall we say....

So yeh i just screwed everything in place, spun up the blades, some saw dust later et voila! Perfectly fabricated cut outs.

How much does Bitza Wood weigh? No where near the 13.6kg limit am guessing. I am very tempted to build a wooden Conker now! with 200mm saw blades :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by PJ-27
    All the expensive bits can be kept in a metal box in the heart of the robot.
    I have been designing an 'suicidal robot' for the robochallenge 'tested to destruction' shows and Jamie pointed out that I might be able to use it in the wooden class.

[attachment=0:u7qb2wv6]Internal Reveal 01 S.jpeg[/attachment:u7qb2wv6]

the metal blade at the front would be swapped out for wood but is the metal chassis underneath legal? (Its Mild steel box with a Ti mounting plate.)
    It was designed so that the outer layers of wood (2x 18mm MDF) could easily be ripped up by spinners for the shows but the expensive bits would have a bit more protection in the centre.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm yet to weigh it, but I reckon around the 10kg mark. May make a Titanium drop on shell and use it for whiteboards at robochallenge events.

I think a steel chassis sort of negates the nature of the wooden robot, but if we're at an event together I'll happily have a fight (mine all wood) to put on a show and have a laugh. Especially since there are no other wooden bots.

For those going to MMM in Germany, the Raptor class is 6kg max and no brushless stuff. Wooden robots could do quite well in those.

I will use a wooden base. If it gets to the stage where I am worried about the internals being damaged you will have probably won the fight anyway

Is anyone going to the leeds armouries event? Would we be allowed to run the wood saw blades in that arena? I know its not designed for spinners but they are hardly NST or Little Spinner-esque.

Register To Comment