Register To Comment
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Robot Class

Very tempted to have a go at this as I'm sure I've got enough spare parts to make one- not sure if I'll have enough time but if Robochallenge are happy to let them run then I'll see what I can do

Well I don't mean to talk out of place but I mentioned the idea a while back to the RoboChallenge guys and they seemed to like it.

Given that there are potentially 2 RoboChallenge events in April one of which being the Champs, the other more of an Expo I hoped there would be room for a fight in this category. There are always whiteboards at the Champs, and if all those fail you could always enter a wooden robot along with your competitive one at the champs.

3 robots per team, 1 per driver was the rule last year.

Apologies if I'm talking out of terms guys (RoboChallenge) but if you'd like pass your opinion?

I am sure you can bring a robot along that you've not entered into the champs for other events. I think Annihilation was entered into whiteboards and driven by micheal when he was also driving Explosion in the UK champs.

Its a very interesting discussion. Would be great to see some good spinners against MDF bot and would look great. Details on the Championships and our second event in April will be released this week so keep your eyes peeled.

Why not enter the wood bot into the champs???

Im interested in this also, although i definitely dont see my attempt being built in the near future (Need to save up for a ESC for Prodigy). What is the current standing on Spinning weapons? I read earlier that people were contemplating Wood working tools like saw blades and chisels. If we are going by the current FRA rules surely the saw blades will be banned straight of the bat? I personally think it would be okay, just checking before i go out and buy some honking great blade. Oh and what was the limit for RPM?
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardomayo
    Quote Originally Posted by james...venom
    Why not enter the wood bot into the champs???
    That is pretty much my plan for my wooden robot! So i'm guessing there wouldn't be any problems with sawdust or wood splinters in the arena then?
    Considering last year laptops, stereos and all sorts of things were demolished, I think wood splinters would be fine. :wink:

I would so be up for this

I have a load of stuff left over from the first version of Shrapnel, I even have the wooden prototype! I can seem myself making a small box of HDPE to contain the expensive parts of the robot but besides thats I would love to make a wooden robot!

[attachment=0:32vmk1rf]Shrapnel Proto 05 Small.jpeg[/attachment:32vmk1rf]

I would be happy to put this into a wooden class. The only thing that would be metal is the bearings for the disc and then the teeth on the disc. I would just bolt them to a wooden core. That way I can still cause damage but If i push it to far the teeth will rip off and become useless.

It also means I get to use a design I spent about 5 months developing! Hot glue guns rule as well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome idea Alex! I bit like how people that make playing card sculptures then destroy them, you too will get to destroy your hard work for the fun of it.

My plan will be to enter BitzaWood alongside Bitza2 if no wooden class runs.

Regarding cutting disks, can someone clarify this? Spinning weapons are allowed in the RoboChallenge arena with pretty much no restrictions, but circular saw blades can be prone to shattering.
    Grant, James could you confirm?

Cheers,

Register To Comment