Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick intro (plus a weight categories question)

Afternoon all,

First off i'd like to say how much I've enjoyed looking around the forum over the last week or so. There are clearly a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, and some of the machines are amazing!

For old times' sake, i series linked an old series of RW currently showing on 'Challenge'. It soon became clear that my 8-year-old became completely infactuated with it! Within days he was able to build little lego replicas of his favourite machines... The wonderful thing is, I've been reminded of feeling exactly the same at his age. I even made a start on building a Feather in a similar style to Stinger. Unfortunately, i didn't have anyone around at that age to help direct that enthusiasm, so it very soon stalled. I'm giving him a better upbringing than i had.

Anyway, i'm rambling now...

What would people suggest is the most accessable weight category? I'm ruling out Heavy for logistical reasons, so my options are Feather, Beetle and Ant. I had thought that the Feather class was the most widely used, but i've also noticed the Kinematic [sp?] Beetle events being staged around the UK which seem prettly well supported. Would this be a good option?

I'm not from a design/engineering background, so whatever we end up building will be necessarily simple - no fancy CAD images from me, i'm afraid! Also, if the boy is to drive it, then it'll need to be pretty basic and robust. For that reason, a Featherweight 'drill-brick' seems like a good option. Sound logic?

Your thoughts appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.

Featherweights are easy to make and probably the most competitive class to get into currently, and you can make a machine with basic DIY tools.

Good thing about featherweight is the wide options to partake in Whiteboard fights, whilst also being very easy to build with limited experience.

The wiring and components are big enough that it doesnt take much skill to solder (useful for me), whilst also being easily commercially available. It can be slightly more expensive than smaller weight classes, but i still feel its better value for money than beetles at the moment.

in fact you could use the shelf as well! you could call it.. Shelf-destruction! see-what-i-did-there? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Albear View Post
    in fact you could use the shelf as well! you could call it.. Shelf-destruction! see-what-i-did-there? lol
    Kill your shelf! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Garfie489 View Post
    Kill your shelf! :P
    very good! i would think up some more but ive gotvery low SHELF motivation

A whiteboard is a friendly match. Essentially a whiteboard is put up in the pit area and people sign their machines up for fights as they wish. They are usually large melees with several machines in the arena at once.

Register To Comment