Register To Comment
Page 41 of 91 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

It started off over here with a 1kg weight limit, but before it got too popular, the general consensus was to standardise with the Americans and Australians at 1.362kg (or 3lb) so that should any of us ever travel abroad to compete, there would be no discrepancies with weight.

Update

Christmas came early for Drumroll

This is the second part of its winter upgrade, the first being a switchover to a lipo battery pack. Just need to get an ESC for the motor now to complete the upgrade, but that might wait until the new year as the Castle Creations controllers aren't exactly cheap.

I may have to change to a larger diameter pulley on the motor as the current one is looking a bit too thin to tap into for grub screws to secure it to the motor shaft. Current ratio is 4:1 so will lose some torque when increasing the pulley.
    Got a pillar drill today so can hopefully start making a decent mounting plate for the motor soon. I'll need to pull out the Speed 900 setup first though, and what to do with it? Hmm....another drumbot?

Looks good, what sort of speed increase does that give you with the ratio you want to use?

Did you get both kilobots working btw?

The Speed 900 setup gives roughly 4160rpm (without factoring losses, which were probably quite numerous) whereas on a 4:1 ratio, the brushless setup will be running at 5088rpm. Doesn't sound that much of an increase but I think the difference will be quite noticeable.

Alternatively if I switch to a 16-tooth gear on the brushless, that takes the ratio to 2.5:1 (same as the Speed 900 currently) and makes the top speed 8140rpm. Think it'll be best to tinker around with a few different ratios to see what one gives the best results.

And no, I never did get the beetleweights finished. Got pi$$ed off the last time I was working on them then I decided not to take them to Stornoway with me. Today was the first time I'd been in my shed since then so they've been completely ignored :P
    Still want to get them finished though, but gonna focus on finishing off the rest of the general workshop stuff I need to do first.

Good choice jamie glad uve finally seen sense :P

Just FYI I'd suggest putting a new shaft into your motor and supporting it the other side of the pulley... It's pretty easy to nock out the old shaft, and you won't need a lathe to make a new one... A piece of 8mm silver steel would do the job.

Yeah, no more faffing about with cheap alternatives. Money spent now is money saved later

The thickness of the shaft (5mm) was a bit of a concern as I managed to bend the 5mm shaft on the Align brushless at the 2010 champs. I've got a bit of 8mm silver steel kicking about in the workshop so that'll do nicely. From what I can see, it's just a circlip at the front and a couple of grub screws at the back that need removed to take the shaft out (as well as a bit of force?)
    Should be manageable enough even with my cowboy techniques :P

Update

Been tinkering away in my workshop the past couple of days. Not really got one 'big' project/build to focus on, so just working my way through a list of little things that have built up. First up, put my new bench grinder and pillar drill to good use in making a bigger shaft for the Scorpion motor (clamped the shaft in the drill and took a hacksaw to it to cut the circlip groove ):

Not as polished as the original but good enough.

So hopefully I won't have to worry about the output shaft bending from shock damage. As Dave mentioned above, the extra length out the back will allow me to support the rear of the motor too, so the whole setup should be quite solid. Will be designing the mount for it tonight.

Also progressed with the beetleweight lifter from a couple of pages back. This was the original pile of parts:

And this is how it's looking just now:

It's definitely not fast enough to be classed as a flipper, but it's a nippy lifter
    The lifting arms are supported on either side, one via the servo horn and the other by an M6 bolt that has been fitted to a piece of HDPE screwed onto the servo casing. Takes a bit of the strain off the output gear of the servo when lifting (and an idea pinched from a fleaweight builder). The battery pack is currently a 6V, 1800mAh Nicad pack but the total weight as it stands is 950g, and I've still to add a receiver, ESCs and armour. So that may need to get swapped out for a lipo and BEC at a later date. I'd like to just get it all running first.

Depending on what angle I look at it from, it has a bit of the old Turbulence look about it. I don't plan on making it a replica, but if it can be as successful as Turb then I won't be complaining

Make it a turb replica

One thing about the brushless upgrade dude I'd suggest drilling some dimples were the grub screws tighten on the shaft, I had problems in the past with the motor case spinning around the shaft because they haven't griped enough.

Looking good though dude.

Register To Comment