Hi all,

Having watched Robot Wars a lot as a kid, and being inspired by the resurrection of the series on TV, I decided to have a go at building my first featherweight robot. I have a background in Electronic Engineering, so will probably have less of a problem with the electrical parts and more of a problem with integrating into a machine! Here's what I picked up so far:

- Plastic is a good starting point, will use this for at least the prototype robot and will purchase thicker armour should the concept work
- Ordered a radio controller, batteries, receiver, ESC and motors, are there any other parts I will need? For example, additional wheel drive components and any failsafe/current limiting parts.
- Are there any good batteries that you have used in your machines?
- What works best with machining and drilling plastic?

My idea is to create a relatively low wedge shape with a lifter powered by a geared down motor and a wide base, either 4 or 6 wheels (2 driven). I've had a look at build threads similar to this design.

I'm renting in Hertfordshire (work in Stevenage), so if there is anyone close by I wouldn't mind meeting up to have a look at existing machines and how they have been built. I've found it's the best way to learn

Cheers,
-Rob