Register To Comment
Page 77 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

Looking forward to it as well Sam, should be a good tussle

Update

Phew! Drumroll is all done mechanically and electrically. All it needs now is a lick of paint and to be stripped and rebuilt with Loctite and cable ties. I've now got three spare drum shafts as the increased drive speed could lead to bigger hits more often, and I bent the 17mm shaft to the point of seizing the drum when I hit Night Fury last year, so hopefully four should see me through the entire event.

Brushless mounting plate has been altered to relieve the tension in the weapon belt, it's now perfect. Haven't made a belt guard this year but the belts are tougher and I have two spare ones so I'm not too worried. I was about to add 5mm steel fins to the front/sides to brace them a little but figured I ought to see how much spare weight I had first:

Umm, that would be none. While it was bang on the limit, those scales aren't as precise as the Robo Challenge ones so I had no idea if it was 13.60kg or 13.64kg. Didn't fancy taking the chance and having to shed weight at the event so I pocketed out the sides and back bulkhead. My excellent engineering did forget to take the hole clearances into account but I'll just cut the bolts to length and no harm done:

Thought the side profile without the side panel was quite cool. Also shows just how much of a 720 rip-off it is internally:

With the bulkheads pocketed, it's now comfortably underweight. Not going to bother with the fins now though, just incase it pushes it over; I prefer to have the leeway:

Ground clearance is a bit high though

Was going to get a test video but it was getting quite late and I only realised once I put the link in that the brushless motor wires weren't connected to the ESC, so I'll sort one out tomorrow.

Had a look at the other bots today. Carcinus is pretty much ready-to-go and I haven't even touched it. Not even going to bother trying to beef it up, it'll all be in vain (might protect the XL a bit though!). Onyx needs its new weapon motor fitted, sprocket fitted, chain fixed, new ESCs fitted and then it should be good to go too. Fun fun

Beautiful In Blue

As nice as it has been looking at shiny aluminium, it was time to get Drumroll painted up and I reckon the chassis looks even better with a lick of metallic blue:

Also gave it a quick spin-up. Looking at how much my charger is currently putting into the battery pack, it must've been running low in the video. Thought the drum didn't sound as fast as it usually did. Should have a bit more kick on full charge:

Sounds a bit rough compared to spin-up videos of other bots. The rattling noise is coming from the flanges of the motor pulley; they're still in place but rotate around the pulley quite freely, and the needle-roller bearings need a bit of oil put in them. This'll be the third big event they've done and there have been a few hard hits in there so they're probably getting a bit goosed. Should be smooth as jazz when I get the new drum made.

So that's everything done besides a bit of superficial paintwork and charging of batteries. Drumroll is ready to wreck, Carcinus is ready to get wrecked and Onyx mad, Onyx SMASH!

Our fight is going to be utterly mental! It could be over in seconds!

What kind of new drum are you building? Just a new version of the current one or are you adding some new design features?

You've already posted your intimidating pictures and videos, merely returning the favour

Alex, the new drum will be the one from the CAD I posted a few pages back (1st Jan 14), the one with the ring teeth. Will just get done as and when time and money allow after the champs.

And the last time a big three-way spinner fight was over in seconds, it was for all the wrong reasons. Hope this one lasts a little longer!

Because orange

(hmm, should've done the teeth orange too)

Cool, nice visable target .

Well at least I'll see it coming

Quote Originally Posted by razerdave View Post
    Cool, nice visable target .
    Also means it'll draw the gaze of the audience more easily, get the crowd on my side
    Of course it completely contrasts with the team colours, but Drumroll's always been a bit of a renegade in that respect.
    Last edited by RogueTwoRobots; 7th April 2014 at 21:59. Reason: Pointless additional waffling.

Register To Comment