Register To Comment
Page 102 of 105 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1045

Thread: 360 - mini hypnodisc

Ahh that sounds fair! Also handy to know because you both run spinners - I had a standard 5AH Turnigy one in HW2 but that was only running a pair of Speed 900s so didn't really tax the battery. I know spinners pull a lot of amps usually on spin up, and if they can stand up to that sort of amp draw though that's good!

Research suggests that the Turnigy Nano-tech series (and to some extent Zippy range, not sure about the Zippy Compact variant) do in fact deliver the C ratings they claim, even the enormous ratings, but they have a sometimes very short life time. People reckon they start to drop off after just 15 cycles, whereas others have been happy 80+ cycles down the line. Luck of the draw.

I'm going to use a pair of Nanos in a new pretty power hungry feather. Partly because HK has a sale and partly because I have gift vouchers to use up, but mostly because I think they'll be awesome for robot use if treated well. Not yet a convert, but nearly.

Oh and because Optipower don't have small enough 5s packs. :P

Yeah it sounds like a build quality issue over anything. I know there are people who've used the Nanotechs in the States I think with few problems but I've heard just as many horror stories... I think if you can get a few spares and you're willing to take that risk they could be pretty decent.

90% of those failures will be abuse that would kill any lipo; over discharge is a common one. That and lots seem to neglect padding them and/or placing them somewhere safe. With cheapy HK packs what tends to happen is just that the internal resistance climbs sooner than high end packs so the life of the pack is shorter. For a car or something that's a pain but for our use, where a robot might be charged just a handful of times in an event, it's no problem. Am confident they'll be fine in my application!

edit: also they're so hugely popular now around the world that it makes sense you'd hear lots of stories about them.

I tend to just buy the best and buy once... not worth taking the risk with hobyking lipos that only last 15 cycles...

On another note... small update, spent a few hours working on the electronics tonight, esc's finaly came back from botbitz- i sent them off for a re-programe as the set in 720 where the first in the uk and still had the anoying cut-out issue in the top corners on the tx... so hopefully ill be able to drive 722 to its full potential instead of winging it like i have the last 2 years....

Done something ive wanted to for a while and mounted and wired everything up as tidy as possible... takes me ages doing this kinda stuff as i like knowing all the joints are perfect and cables are kept as short as possible;

LOL, not nearly enough cable ties! Neat wiring like that really pays off in saved time and avoided mistakes during between round repairs. Is that Anderson connector your removable link? You could save some space & weight by combining the fuse with the link - Andersons have a heap of room in the shell for that.

yeah i did consider that...but the 100a auto fuse has proven to only blow when stuff is about to explode... so i dont really want to mess with it, as its proven reliable now...also.. i really like the andersons as links... the link hole in the top plate lines up perfect with the carbon bulkhead and is just big enough for the anderson to drop down in... so i can litrally drop the link in the hole and i know its lined up- no messing about... i did used to use deans as a link but its to fidly when the pressures on, and the lighting in the arena isnt the best... Also the anderson isnt standard, its chopped down about 10mm top and bottom- the standard ones are too big to fit

Had first drive and drum test yesterday... seems the new wheels and sides work perfect... with the dual rates set it drives perfect and it wont flip over un-predictably, i can actually hold it right on the edge as seen at the end of the vid... but if i flip the dual rates off on the tx switch, it flips instantly due to the higher turning speed... so basically if i need to turn it over i can just turn the rates off and have it flip easy... perfecto!

The drum was pulling too much current, and the belt was getting hot, think there's too much tension, so im going to turn a bit of the drum pulley OD and that should cure it

Oh... and i decided it looks boring so its getting painted if i have time before the champs.

As long as you don't paint it black and orange

Looking forward to our fight. My machine should be well within weight afterwards...

lol black and green....

yeah it'll be a hard fight for sure! got any updated pics of your robot yet?

Register To Comment