Register To Comment
Page 66 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

I think people need to get over the whole copying of bots. If you think your design is original, your 99% mistaken. It has probably been done in some shape and form previous.

MDU (A mutant clone of Gyrobot itself) had a bunch of clones after it's first successful win, including clones King Cholera, Crankshafted, Angel of the Abyse and a direct clone AJ made up I think it's rather petty of people complaining of this and it always just ends in a bunch of people posting 5 threads worth of name calling :|

IMHO, I consider it flattery to have someone clone my design.

Quote Originally Posted by knightrous
    I think people need to get over the whole copying of bots. If you think your design is original, your 99% mistaken. It has probably been done in some shape and form previous.

MDU (A mutant clone of Gyrobot itself) had a bunch of clones after it's first successful win, including clones King Cholera, Crankshafted, Angel of the Abyse and a direct clone AJ made up I think it's rather petty of people complaining of this and it always just ends in a bunch of people posting 5 threads worth of name calling :|

IMHO, I consider it flattery to have someone clone my design.
    If it's accidental, or an inside joke with the original creator, then I'm not too bothered with it, Aaron, but Mark here is just cloning bots to intentionally pi$$ people off, or at least that's what it's looking like to me.

*Manages to stay calm*

Listen. Why do I create a partial copy of another person' robot? Because I think it actually had/has some promise in it. Also because several of the designs I borrowed ideas from never fought.

In your case, and throughout Team Gore/Zlayerz history, when

Ivy, Killothwack Beta, Laertes, Laertes the 2nd, The Sickness, The Grand Illusion, Curse of Dread, Troubloon: Twice the Trouble, Dysfunction, Destructophobic Mach II, Seung Mina, Killobite Recharged, Killobite Rebooted, Macduff, Wedginator rEVILution, Wedginator Reborn, Super Gore GTI, Super Gore: Artificial Intelligence, Super Gore Revo, and Intriguing

were retired, they never fought a battle, and I feel that these robots have a right to fight at least once, since they were never used in combat.

I know I'm probably making a pointless argument, but I just want you to look back, and realize: Hey! Maybe I should've used them at least once.

I understand what I did wrong, and won't do it again, but seriously, look back, and remember...

EDIT: And no, I don't intend to P!$$ people off when I (partially) copy their designs. I want them to see me enter the design in a tourney, and then, depending on whether I lose my first match, make the heat final, make the quarter-finals, make the semis, or make the grand final/3rd place playoff, They can say: Wow. I'm glad I never entered that robot, or I can't believe I didn't enter that robot in a competition!!! It did great! or Crap... That guy won a tourney using a partial copy of my outdated machine? What the h*ll!

So do you at least partially understand(I hope)?

Mark, that still doesn't give you the right to rip-off mine and other people's bots; you're stealing credit for our designs. And as for your you should think about bringing back retired bots...well, have you ever considered that maybe we don't want to bring our bots back from the dead? And why on earth are you deliberately cloning a TIM bot? His designs were utter bullocks themselves, and...god that just doesn't make any sense...

I also disagree with Aaron's whole I-don't-give-a-damn-about-being-copied-from thing for myself, as I like my designs in my own hands and not someone else's, but I guess the whole thing has different points of view with different people. Aaron may have been flattered about people cloning MDU1, but quite frankly if I come up with something relatively original, and it gets cloned right from under my nose, that's quite an insult. Cloning successful wedges...that's been going on for ages; same thing with FBSs. However say someone cloned Mornington Crescent, a very decent double-ring spinner, which to me seems quite original (unless I've missed something), and is one of Steve-o's latest brainwaves. Wouldn't Steve be, at the very least, a little bit indignant at the person who did it? I'd say so. I'm not going to try and change Aaron's mind or anyone else's, I'm just speaking what I think of this issue. By the way, look at what happened with Dan's PTT5 bot, Quake. See the utter crap that resulted from that?

With the current robotic physics going on right now, though, there is only a finite amount of originality until something new is discovered and is usable for our style of robot combat, so there will be some indirect cloning, but it pains me to see Mark intentionally clone some original designs and claim them as his own.

Quote Originally Posted by corsair_lightning
    I'm just wondering, are you suggesting that I ask somebody if I can clone their design before I do it I'm a bit confused there...
    ...yes?

That's part of the point I've been attempting to get through to you.

I know I said originality right now has a finite amount, Mark, but do you not have any originality on tap that you have to find some way to clone other robots, anyway? Jeez...

And just because Quake lost its first fight doesn't mean it was a failure, just that Dan didn't want to keep using it after that. His decision.

Register To Comment