Register To Comment
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Spinner Energy

i dont think the traction of the robot has much of a major factor. worst case would be the disc at full speed, being pushed into the arena wall (disc first) by someone like storm.

Id have said a spinner being launched into the safety screen disc first.... but then I always was the destructive kind.

Are we any nearer verticals being allowed to fight at private events yet ?

In the mean-time, dont know if anybody has seen this site but it might be useful.

http://www.teamcosmos.com/ke/ke.shtmlhttp://www.teamcosmos.com/ke/ke.shtml

Paul S.

yeah thats great well done paul
    great link

So this is an old thread which I'm digging up in the aftermath of the recent new series. I've a few questions about vertical spinners which I'm hoping 9 years of experience can answer.
    1. Are they legal or not? I'm getting mixed messages across the forum, the "rules" and what I've seen on the show. I appreciate the arena operator has the last say but the TV series was PACKED with spinners which seemed to violate 2 if not 3 of the rules applying to spinners.
    2. This energy calculator on the teamchaos site- do they have a version in metric, or at least specifying what units are being used? Has this calculator been proved to work, what margin of error have people observed?
    3. Earlier in this thread Richard from 13B appeared to basically justify why spinners should not appear at all...which is concerning. I want one. He predicted the possibility for a spinner to damage the arena and or send shrapnel at polycarbonate piercing speeds. At least one of these came true during the recent series, (see how I avoided the spoiler there), on this note, are they being considered for banning/regulating further to the '3 Rules'?
    4. If I went with a 700mm disk diameter saw...that allowed or not? If not technically storing kinetic forces for impact purposes, but instead a glorified circular saw blade...still counts as a spinner, or a saw? Loophole?
    5. Anything else anyone can give in terms of advice. Disk-edge mph optimums, material choices (hardox for everything?), motor protection tips etc.

1) Spinner Rules are in context of the arena they are run in. Grade 2 and above has no stated limit, other than what the EO sets. Grade 3 is 500rpm, or what the EO sets - best advice is to read the rules carefully and in detail, and learn how they apply to different EOs and events.

2) Its always best to double check your figures from a unrelated source if unsure on the calculation. However that sites confused me aswell as it appears to be american, and thus imperial - yet gives the answer in metric. This is why you shouldnt use imperial for anything scientific :P

3) No, tip speed may be limited by EOs (EO has final discretion and may vary between). However youll likely still get over 200mph before they start getting cautious.

4) There is no difference between blade type, if it rotates its a spinner. Some robots have bars, beaters, ect - they arnt discs but come under the same regulations. Best advice is to not try finding loopholes in the regulations as the EOs will likely see through that and ban it anyway. If your defence is that its in the wording of the rules, tough - they decide if you enter their arena or not.

5) Build it at featherweight scale first. That way you can learn the technology and structural requirements needed whilst also not breaking the bank

Register To Comment