Hi.

Since childhood years spent watching Robot Wars I have wanted to build a fighting robot, and now that it is back on TV I have decided now is the time to do it. Slight catch though, I have absolutely zero experience with building something like this. I have experience building stuff in general, being a hobbyist woodworker and a builder by trade, but my electrical experience ends at plug sockets and light fittings.

Through searching the internet and browsing this forum I have garnered some basic knowledge about where to begin and plan to have a practice run by making a featherweight wedge bot, this experience should teach me the basics about RC transmitters/receivers and ESCs (which I had never even heard of before a few days ago).

For this practice bot I want to try and keep costs to a minimum, I don't plan on entering any competitions with this bot, it's more to just show myself that I can make something that drives around to prove to myself that this is something I'm capable of learning how to do.

So far I have ordered a couple of cheap drills for the motors (
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131435563121 ) as this seems to be a cost effective way of getting good enough motors. Now I'm into the realms of stuff I know nothing about. I need a transmitter and receiver, batteries and ESC, this is where I need advice.

For an ESC I'm currently leaning towards this one: https://www.technobotsonline.com/sab...er-for-rc.html
it seems a tad expensive to me, but never having bought one before I have nothing to compare it to. From what I can tell it should do what I need it to, but if anyone can recommend an alternative that might be a better option I would be appreciative.

As for transmitter and receiver I have no idea what to go for so any suggestions as to a good entry level purchase would be very helpful.

Batteries are again an area I require advice as to what to buy, I get the impression LiPo batteries are the way forward but after having a browse and being totally overwhelmed by the many different types with lots of different numbers and letters in their names I have no idea what to get.

If anyone could advise me on what to go for here I would really appreciate it, so far my foray into robot building has been halted by simply not knowing what to buy, once I have parts that I can start putting together I hope to be able to pick up the pace.

Many thanks,

TJ