I’ve been thinking about finally build a heavyweight since they announced they were restarting robot wars, and I might take the plunge. Its been a few years since ive done anything robot related (4 maybe? ) and only have experience with featherweights (none did very well, but ill blame that on cheap ebay parts 😝 ). But as I now have access to a workshop and a little more money available think a heavyweight may now be in reach.

Before I start investing in parts I thought id clear up a few things. My current plan for drive is one 24v 800-1000w ebay scooter motor (the MY1020 ones) per side, with a ragebridge 2 controller running of a 7-8 cell lipo and a single stage 4.5-5:1 reduction with 20cm wheels. The power to push others would be desirable so this set up might be a bit lower end, but finding the funds is an issue so I be leaving enough room for future upgrades to higher power motors.

I had a few questions about this set up:
Motors:
I’ve head lots of people mentioning they are trying these scooter motors out, and was wondering on the verdict. Are they up to scratch? how does the actual power compare to other better known motors? And has anyone opened them up and seen if there’s anything internally that can be done to toughen them up?

Ragebridge 2 speed controllers:
when people refer to them being used are they normally referring to them being used in single channel mode, or would a single controller cope in with both drive motors in dual mode. (they will be fitted with a large heat sink and fan, and then shock mounted). And i've only found them on the robot marketplace, has anyone found a uk supplier, or is the RMP the only option (if so what kind of delivery cost am I expecting)

Chain size:
I had been planning on using half inch chain, but the scooter motors mostly seem to come already with 8mm sprockets, would 8mm chain be a viable option instead, or is it a bit lightweight for this application?

Alternatively, I had been considering the E30-400 AMPflow motors, but only just found this source, how would they compare running in the same conditions? (although would probably need an extra stage of reduction due to the higher rpm)
https://www.amazon.com/AmpFlow-E30-4...ywords=ampflow

Sorry for the long post, and I know some of my questions have probably been previously answered but after quite a bit of forum surfing I still wasn’t clear on these bits + thought a post might get the ball rolling
Thanks Alex