Register To Comment

Thread: New HW design - Omni Wheels and 30kW spinner

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi All,

First post!

I have been working on the design of my team's first heavyweight for the next season of Robot Wars (assuming it happens) and would like to see what people think of the wheels we are going to be using.

We are a group of final year MEng computing and electronics students from Heriot-Watt University.

To give some background on the robot.
    • 70cm 3000-6000rpm 15-25kg ring spinner attached using 170*25mm ball bearings and powered by 3* 150cc rotomax on 14S (friction drive to avoid shock and esc timing issues) (yes I know that is insane, but we want it to spin up in under 2s)
    • 3 Omni-Wheels with 50cc rotomax on 12S (not decided gearing yet)
    • 10mm 6082T6 aluminium shell with 5mm HDPE covering
    • 25Ah of LiPo
    • custom board between reciever and escs to handle orientation (Its quite hard to drive a 3 wheeled robot, especially upside down!)

I have been trying to design the wheels so that if they get hit by an axe then they won't break, but its quite hard when there are 12 Axles per wheel!

The wheel itself has 10mm silver steel and 4 bearings in each of the omni-rollers, with some nice grippy rubber to avoid the traction problem that sweeney todd had.
    It is made from 4 25mm ali plates bolted together with 12 M8*40 bolts. The rollers are fitted by removing the bolts and just slot into place making them easy to replace when bent.
    The main wheel axle is 25mm silver steel.

wzTnkEl.jpg

Any ideas for how to improve it? or should I post more nice renderings
    Last edited by TechAUmNu; 26th August 2016 at 10:18.

Register To Comment