Register To Comment

Thread: Team Health & Safety - First Time Builder

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    At long last, there is life... and it has come with sustenance. A report.

With the addition of a reciprocating saw it not only saw my inner monologues evolve into inner debates (because my thoughts were now also reciproca... oh nevermind), it also granted me access into the wonderful world of murdering HDPE and getting plastic sawdust everywhere.

I thought I'd get basic construction down first before I go anywhere further. You know, don't run before you can walk and all that. I set my sights on a basic HDPE box. Much noise and hoovering later, there was a result!

IMG_20170126_125350.jpg

Please note the glass of fruit-smoothie (because HEALTH AND SAFETY PEOPLE!), which will provide a valuable insight to the assembly time of this little white wonder of polyethylene.

IMG_20170126_125655.jpg

I do realize that there is one side missing by the way, but that's where the front would go... and, much like a lot of Americans this past elections, I didn't know what to do so I just decided not to make a decision (which fittingly enough was also going to bite me in the ass later on).

Anyways, time for more smoothie. 'MURICA THIRST.

IMG_20170126_130016.jpg

I'd run out of fruit-induced awesomeness. Sad.

Ofcourse, just sawing plastic wasn't enough - I now had to attach it to itself. Out came the screws, and at first I set about making a right mess of it mainly because the IKEA screwdriver that was available just gave up after getting in halfway - TOTAL disaster. This severe impotency (don't you just love all them Trump puns I'm making) asked for more firepower, so I decided to carpet bomb it back to the stone-age with a 500W impact drill.

TL000743.jpg

Long story short, I finally got a first setup together. As you can see this particular one still only has 1WD, but after fiddling about with some wires and getting some play-time with the hot-iron I got something working that managed to trump (yes) that.

With the little raskal being the camera-man, the first embodification of my inaptitude did its first laps through the living room.

The lack of front made it throw out its innards a couple of times, but it was fine overall. As you can see there's a shoddingly excess of wiring in there, as I've gone totally crazy with them BEC plugs. The simple reason behind that is that I'm still very much getting to grips with the content matter and I'm just learning things as I go along. You know, like that other bloke.

But naturally there is some drama. Upon the battery running out, one of the ESCs released its magic smoke. One of the wires had desoldered itself, but the other ESC is fine. If any of you wizards gracing me with your awesomeness has some sort of an idea, just leave a message after the beep.

IMG_20170205_224245.jpg

I'd guess that the two ESCs getting in too close a proximity of one another didn't do this one too many favors (unless that shouldn't matter in which case you can just ignore my rant).

Time now to get an actual chassis together, and think about the weaponry. GUNG-HO!
    Last edited by Zenith; 5th February 2017 at 20:58.

Register To Comment