Register To Comment
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: [FW] Tracked 4WD Lifter: Aegis

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    I would definitely try to attach the side armour at the back & front - it will get damaged or ripped off if it is just attached with four screws in the middle. The rest of the CAD design look great.
    Thanks. Yeah I'll try and bend the armour round the front of the tracks there. Should be possible.

Just a thought - if you add an extension to those plastic spacers between the wheels, it will help to keep the treads on and improve grip.

I actually have some little 40mm castors which I might add to help track tension. They should hopefully offer lower rolling resistance.

Just changed the shape of the steel lifter mounting bracket (shown on its own in the top right) to move the lifter axle well clear of the brushless motor at full extension. Should be fine now.

Attached Images Attached Images

Moving the pivot pion that far back makes it vulnerable to vertical disk spinners - it might be safer to limit the movement of the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    Moving the pivot pion that far back makes it vulnerable to vertical disk spinners - it might be safer to limit the movement of the arm.
    How about moving it forward again slightly? How close to the edge is too close? That bracket should be 5mm steel btw.
    Last edited by R9000; 23rd March 2016 at 12:57.

Most vertical spinner disks are 16" or less in diameter, so draw a circle that diameter in your CAD and see if it touches any lifter parts before it touches the armour - it could be that you don't have to move anything.

Ok, sorry though, what are the " marks for? Surely you don't mean 16 inches.

I think the largest vertical disk I ever saw was about 16 inches in diameter. Nowadays builders are using smaller, thicker disks so if a 16" disk misses you lifter, you will be safe from the smaller ones too - its always good to plan for the worst case scenario.

I've moved the axle 7mm back in, and a 16" circle just hits the protruding lifter arms before hitting the edge of the armour. Can't really hit the main axle though. I might just end up armouring the back end a little more if I can't get the mech any closer in. I don't want to have to mess about with the limiter switches inside the barrel of the linac.

Register To Comment