Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [FW] Hydraulic Crusher Bot

Yep, speed and torque are interchangable, with only the mechanical losses interacting.

But what isn't interchangable is the total available force. A retracting ram has less force to mutate from speed to power or the other way around.

The guts of Cobalt are now inside inside Little Nipper, you could ask the Big Nipper team what ratio/force/pressure they use. I know they swapped the brushed pump motor to a Scorpion HK4035 to up the power/speed of the pump, maybe you can do something similar.

While I love anything made of titanium, 7075 aluminium is probably just as good for a light weight cylinder and much easier to fabricate.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Yep, speed and torque are interchangable, with only the mechanical losses interacting.

But what isn't interchangable is the total available force. A retracting ram has less force to mutate from speed to power or the other way around.
    Good point. So that would mean that you could have a larger, possibly hollow rod that would give you a faster return stroke, assuming the crusher doesn't need nearly as much power to get the point out of the opponent. Would I be right in saying that for the same weight, a wider hollow rod will be stiffer than a smaller diameter solid rod? Sorry for all the questions, I am looking around for something a bit unusual for a sportsman weapon for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    Would I be right in saying that for the same weight, a wider hollow rod will be stiffer than a smaller diameter solid rod?
    Yes If the weigh was identical, the wider hollow rod would be stiffer. But I think (since the cross sectional area would actually be the same, just distributed differently) they would have identical compressive and tensile strengths.

A wider, thinner walled tube is stiffer and tougher in compression, weight for weight compared to a solid rod or thicker walled tube.

TAN uses a D60 d50 rod since day 1 for its 100mm bore ram. Just to give an example.

I Still have the 32mm Bore Cylinder from Cobalt if your still looking for one, Gear pumps have a motor matched for the correct flow and pressure for the size of the pump, you can overspeed and create Cavitation so don't overvolt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation)

Register To Comment