Register To Comment
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie/oldbie

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G View Post
    Sorry I don't understand or im reading it wrong
    Not difficult. Only EO's with a strong enough arena will let spinners run in their arena.
    In the UK , it's Robochallenge. In The Netherlands and Belgium it's DRG, and in Germany GRA.

So, with 1 or 2 events in the UK, and 2 to 4 on the mainland, Spinners don't have a lot of events. Non spinner Feathers are welcome at about any heavy event. And those are a lot more common in the UK.
    On the mainland, unfortunatly, there is a lack of heavy events.

Does anyone have a more detail version of the rules for featherweight class
    Same rules af for heavyweights, but with another weight limit.

Is there an motor watts limit
    Non whatsoever.

Does robot wars live events allow spinning weapons for featherweight`s

To my knowledge only the robochallenge arena can handle the abuse.
    And that one gets build in april during the Gadget Show Live in Birmingham and some aviation event in the following month/months.

So building a spinner is something that will see use once or twice a year. Unless you'll include the mainland to your haunts.

Robot Wars live is a heavyweight robot event, as already been explained - Heavyweight events do not allow spinners.

Well here is my robot design

scan0001.pdf

I hope you have cordless anglegrinders.

And what grade of stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    I hope you have cordless anglegrinders.

And what grade of stainless?
    Its going to be 3mm stainless. Im just going to used the inners of the anglegrinder

What do you mean with "inners"? The gearboxes? Or the stator/rotor?

Oh BTW, lightweights. I don't know there is any in the UK or mainland.

What angle grinders are you using? Are they corded or cordless?

And really again, DON'T START WITH A SPINNER. Plus if you're going full combat 3mm stainless is woefully inadequate.

Being honest, it doesnt look like youve researched the fundamentals or looked through other build diaries. If you dont know something, you need to look it up or - if rather specific - at least ask.

For example, being asked what grade of stainless - 3mm is not the answer. If you get the wrong grade of steel you could easily end up with something with the wrong properties for what you need. You can have two different sheets of 3mm stainless, and one will break in combat and one may survive if they are different grades. Regardless, 3mm of stainless steels i have seen is too thin for full combat. It will likely get destroyed very quickly unless its entered into non-spinner events. It may just pass as an internal structure, but not if the entire robot is made out of it.

The question of Cordless Angle grinder is also important because most angle grinders arnt cordless - if you use its components its likely to not work due to the differences between AC and DC current. It could even be possible the motors are not capable of bi-directional drive.

Its also worth mentioning that as a spinner, it can only enter full combat events. This then also presents the problem that the spinner is likely to be so ineffective you might aswell remove it. Meaning the only reason to have it, is to endanger yourself. Removing the spinner for this reason means you can enter all open invitation events.

Also personally your plans dont have a sense of Scale. Non moving claws means nothing is going to fit inside them, and the scale of the weapon seems very small compared to that of the robot. Its also overly basic, and missing most of the essentials needed to operate a robot - even listing those components would be handy to give advice. The best thing to do is use the component dimensions and CAD software like Sketchup (which is free). Or more simplistically drawing it in sharpie on a bit of cardboard to get the correct scale.

Register To Comment