Register To Comment

Thread: Team Nuts' Build Diary

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've got too many robots to warrant separate build diaries, so I've decided to compile them all into one..
    ..And by too many robots, I mean I've built around 35 across every weight class since starting in January last year (average of about one every 2 weeks!), 17 of which are currently still active.. Below are all the working ones plus a few old chassis

WP_20150615_002.jpg
    My general philosophy is to build robots as cheap as possible from anything I can find... as such most of my machines take on a fairly rustic look, and building 35 in a year hasn't bankrupted me :L

Heavyweight - (Big) Nuts

Original build diary: "£50" Heavyweight

WP_20150615_009.jpg

Nuts is a rather odd creation that cost me about £30 to build in the end (largely due to a lot of very generous parts donations). It's a flail 'spinner' based off my fleaweight (on top in the photo) of the same name (It was going to be called Big Nuts, but that starts to sound a little too crude ). It is not meant to be competitive, but is seriously fun to drive. It had its first fight with the flails fitted yesterday:

(Video kindly supplied by Harry DT)

Featherweight - Richie

Original build diary: Richie: The £50, 3 week Featherweight

WP_20150408_003.jpg

This was built in early April last year ahead of the RoboChallenge event in Yeovil (a few miles from where I live). It has since had many tweaks and rebuilds, but still only ever has about £50 worth of components in it at any one time. I entered it in the champs this year, coming roughly 19th (I missed qualifying for top 18 by two seconds). I'm currently considering going over the £50 mark and fitting the lifting mechanism with a 2kw brushless (currently runs off a 12v 550 motor).
    Also started work on a £30 axe robot called Johnny, more on that in the future hopefully

Beetles - Bork and Naff

WP_20150306_003.jpgWP_20150418_004.jpg

Bork was an assbot thrown together for Whitwick out of a Cybots toy and bits of an old desk... Still did remarkably well and actually pushed Soundwave into the pit in the competition..
    Naff was another beetle thrown together ahead of an event, and despite looking kinda sleek, it was even less competitive than Bork. I'm hoping to build a proper beetle at some point; I have all the parts for Big Bully, which is planned to be 4WD with a lifter.

Antweights and smaller

Original build thread (RW101): Another New Antweight..

I have too many of these to talk about them in detail, so I'll just list them:

Ants:
    Active
    BullyDozer
    Why Wait?
    Skutter
    Bad Idea
    Tinny
    Lionel
    Retired
    Flail Whale
    Chocolate Bot
    Click Clack
    Fleas:
    Haggis
    Nuts
    Chug
    Smash and Grab
    Nanos:
    Minidozer
    Sir Lift-a-lot
    Nibble
    Spinni
    Nullity
    Scrat
    Scampi

I've built various other robots, either as just test rigs or non competition concept machines, which bring it up to about 35.

Electronics

The electronics for every one of my robots has been homemade, and I am planning on selling various bits of electronics now in development.. More on that as it happens..

Thats it for now, I'll probably have more updates fairly soon as I'm on holiday after exams, so I've got a bit of catching up to do!
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 15th June 2015 at 22:21.

Register To Comment