Register To Comment
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with choosing parts for a first robot, please.

That^

Even a cheapo thing, talking £50 region, will serve you well. They aren't quality tools but they are a world away from handheld. I have owned and abused 2 such cheap things and with a bit of care they aren't bad.

Also, I assume the bore of the wheel is already fairly large. In soft plastics, drilling a hole to a size only a little bigger than its starting size often causes the material to tear and compress, which a lot of the time results in violently grabbing the bit. Either the part/drill shift violently, the bit snaps, or the drill stalls. Sounds like you're experiencing the latter. It's good practice with plastics to, where possible, drill a small pilot hole or none at all. I try to stick to pilots no bigger than 1/3rd the next drill's size.

What size bore are they to begin with? I did the melted-nut-bore thing a long time ago and if I recall melted them straight into the 12mm bore the 100mm wheels had as standard. Are yours not 12mm?
    Last edited by Ellis; 21st July 2015 at 22:03.

You can usually find small pillar drills going on gumtree for around £20 up this way. Your other option is a holder for a hand drill that turns it into a pillar drill.

Thanks very much for your responses!
    Sounds like a good idea to hunt down a cheap pillar drill.

@Ellis
    Yeah, the bore is originally 12mm, and the inserts are 15 mm across. I'd read in other threads regarding wheels that the nut insert could be hammered into the bore if it was increased to 14 mm. I've watched your videos where you melt the insert into position, but without the more precise movement of a pillar drill I was a bit cautious about trying it out.

Don't go for the holders, unless you need to drill a lot of holes in stone using a hamerdrill. (never found a pillar drill with hammer function)
    In any respect, those are just a third rate backup.

I only can advice, go for a real pillar drill, and not the smallest ones either. I had one of those, and Kos made me a longer pillar, making it a lot more useable.
    But on the other hand, those are cheaper than a good brand batterydrill ,and they can drill a straight hole.

I have this one, and I'm going to get a bigger one as soon funds allow.

Maybe this one.

Only major issue I've found, having owned two cheapo smallest-scale pillar drills, is that you need to stick some wood under the table so it doesn't flex when doing anything more than popping small holes in soft materials. Aside from that they have surprisingly little chuck wobble, etc. Of course I'd love to have a nicer, bigger piece of kit (with some slower speeds) but, funding.

I still strongly recommend you try and get one, it's a massive evolution from hand-held. Used via Ebay/Gumtree is certainly an option for cutting costs further.

As for the wheel bores, it seems that you'll likely need a pillar drill to do either thing: drill out the bore with any accuracy, or use it as a form of press to do the heat-insert method with the stock bore. Problem with hammering into the (probably nylon or polypropylene) wheels is that they will likely crack and wheel-wobble, even if it doesn't, will be bad.

With the heat method the plastic actually captures the nut in all directions, from the sides as well as rotationally. The wheels in our old how-to videos are still completely solid after dozens of harsh fights several years on.

Thanks for the responses!

I really don't have the cash for one of those bigger pillar drills, but I'll definitely check out getting a cheaper one.
    And if I'm going to buy a pillar drill I'll use Ellis' melting method for the wheels rather than hammering it.

Thanks so much for your help!

Just finished cutting the HDPE. Could've been tidier, but it all fits together so it should be ok. Also the pillar drill arrived in the mail yesterday so I'll be able to assemble it all soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dotDominic; 28th July 2015 at 12:31.

Register To Comment