Register To Comment
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Ever Robot Build: Invertible Featherweight Vertical Disc Spinner

I agree that most contacts are lower speed than they should be, its why I gave up the idea of super high RPM weapons. There is little point in owning bragging rights to the fastest weapon if it doesn't deliver wins all the time.

Getting back to the Matt's questions, the minimum practical size for a disk is a grey area. You need the disk to project a fair way out of the bot's frame in order to be affective, so a small disk needs to have a very compact bearing so that the disk's axle is as near as possible to the edge of the frame. As a disk gets smaller, it needs to get thicker to maintain its weight and kinetic energy - eventually it starts looking more like a drum than a disk. I would say that for an effective disk, the minimum diameter is a bit under 200 mm.

I'd say that the only true sweet spot concerning spinning weapons should be KE and Bite.
    The amount of energy and the abilty to pass it on into it's target.

It will always be diametre vs width vs teeth vs speed in varying measures but it will always boil down to that.

Dewalt motors can easily be around that high. What did the drill motor come from?

I would recommend the t85a controllers

Quote Originally Posted by TheNeonMatt View Post
    Thanks, I will try to make the disc as big as possible but at the moment I think it is going to become a trade off between disc size, height of the bot, and whether it is invertible because I would like to keep the bot within a 45 degree angle.
    If the disc is to large it will have a high RMI and take forever to spin up. My first machine had a 200mm disc with the same weapon drive as anoter machine with a 300mm disc. Mine was up to full speed in less than a second. The other took 4-5 seconds to reach top speed. However the other machine hit harder and did more damage due to its higher tip speed and mass.

For the ultimate expression of that take a look at how long it took a 5hp chainsaw engine to get typhoon 2 up to 1000rpm. A good 30 seconds or so

It's a balancing act and the best part it, you will never be right because every battle is different.

As pointed out before, KE and bite is everything..

Just because I'm not versed in the actual sweet spot. What kind of KE should a spinner have in 1 or 2 seconds?

With a feather anything over 1kj will start doing damage

Register To Comment