Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why CO2?

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Oh, CO2 not a greenhouse gas?
    I'm thinking of Ozone Depleting Substances. CO2 doesn't deplete Ozone.

It's been a few years since since I studied the greenhouse effect. Apparently, we're all screwed anyway so I try not to think about it.

It doesnt contribute to the greenhouse effect, because stored CO2 generally was originally CO2 in the atmosphere to begin with.

The greenhouse effect is caused by turning compounds into CO2 (partially). Turning Liquid CO2 into Gas CO2 has no net greenhouse effect, although if we was to leave it in the tanks it would help the atmosphere by having a net reduction in CO2

Quote Originally Posted by Garfie489 View Post
    It doesnt contribute to the greenhouse effect, because stored CO2 generally was originally CO2 in the atmosphere to begin with.

The greenhouse effect is caused by turning compounds into CO2 (partially). Turning Liquid CO2 into Gas CO2 has no net greenhouse effect, although if we was to leave it in the tanks it would help the atmosphere by having a net reduction in CO2
    So, if CO2 isn't contributing to the greenhouse effect of the atmosphere, why are all the greenies so riled up about it ?

Because we are turning things which are not CO2, into CO2.

For example, Hydrocarbons. The smallest Hydrocarbon is the Alkane called Methane. Its formula is CH4. When we add oxygen to it, and burn we get this equation.

CH4 + 2O2 = CO2 + 2H20 (ie 1 mole of methane, added to 2 moles of Oxygen produces a mole of Carbon dioxide, and two moles of Dihydrogen Monoxide)

Carbon dioxide does not exist before, however it exists after. Causing a net increase in CO2 in the atmosphere.

When we use Carbon Dioxide, there is no creation or destruction of CO2, because there is no reaction. Its simply a change of state.

The CO2 that we use isn't extracted from the air, it's created and pressurise so it is adding to the greenhouse effect. I think it's done using Calcium Carbonate and acid/water or similar then pressurised to ensure purity, something like that anyway.

But still, it's a small drop in the ocean compared to other things that are spewing out nasty gases.

I guess I will have to go to school again. CO2 ain't a greenhouse gas. Wow, never tought I could be that wrong.

The CO2 we use in our machines is made by burning fossile fuels. Sequestring it from the atmosphere is too expensive. So we use the concentrated CO2 in exhaust gasses, makes it a lot cheaper to "catch" it.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post

The CO2 we use in our machines is made by burning fossile fuels. Sequestring it from the atmosphere is too expensive. So we use the concentrated CO2 in exhaust gasses, makes it a lot cheaper to "catch" it.
    What i am trying to say is the actual use of storing the gas, and then releasing it makes no additional CO2 than what would otherwise be the case. I doubt we burn oil for the sole purpose of making CO2, its a by product of other processes.

You could be surprised. I have worked in a place that burns sulphurfree oil in a special furnace to get as much soot as possible, to refine that to pure carbon powder- for alkaline primary cells-

But yes, I guess that most CO2 is a recycled waste product from some industrial process. Maybe the production of hydrogen from steamcracking of methane.

And still, CO2 is a greenhouse gas. Without it in the atmosphere, it will be a lot colder.
    And no, I'm not a climat weeny that believes that the CO2 produced by the burning of fossile fuels will destroy humanity.

Greenhouse gases are those that can absorb and emit infrared radiation.The most common are water vapor (H2O), Carbon dioxide (CO2), Methane (CH4), Nitrous oxide (N2O), Ozone (O3), and chlorofluorocarbons.

To claim otherwise is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Anttazz View Post
    The CO2 that we use isn't extracted from the air, it's created and pressurise so it is adding to the greenhouse effect. I think it's done using Calcium Carbonate and acid/water or similar then pressurised to ensure purity, something like that anyway.

But still, it's a small drop in the ocean compared to other things that are spewing out nasty gases.

As I said above, it's not a bi product, the CO2 we use is done with the sole intention of creating CO2.

Register To Comment