Register To Comment
Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

I'm thinking of a different type of robot and thought of making a simple type feather pusher but go Steampunk!
    would these do for the motors?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-small-...-/151041070842

It would need gearing down but it would be different.

Please say this is actually going to be built! Though I would have thought with your machining skills you would be making the engine yourself? :L

If this were to happen what would you power it with? Steam? compressed air? CO2?

I am thinking if I should, but the cost is quite prohibitive the motors alone would be £700 and this for a robot that would never win anything! (but that's not a major concern)

I would like to run it on steam but for the shows insurance sake, I think I would use compressed air I have looked into this for other projects,

The idea is basically a polycarbonate box with 4 spoked wheels lots of copper and brass rivets.
    The engines shown have a reversing leaver that can be connected to servos for the steering so with 2 engines I could tank-steer the thing, do you think they would allow me a weight advantage for a steam powered featherweight?
    Last edited by craig_colliass; 10th April 2016 at 18:38.

It would be a work of art. Art shouldn't fight.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    It would be a work of art. Art shouldn't fight.
    Try telling that to some of the Battlebots teams

I do agree though, it'd make a much better show piece than combat robot, especially since then you don't have to armour it as heavily. I'd look into making your own engine though if you; shouldn't be too tricky to build a simple one, and would cost substantially less than £700. Plus then you could design it into the robot which may well give a better look.

It's something I've joked about doing for ages, but it would be awesome if someone actually did. For some reason I'm now picturing a steam powered spinner :L

I've been doing some work on the "dark arts" yes pneumatics! hoping to show more progress in the year on this project.

IMG_1964.jpgIMG_1965.jpgIMG_1966.jpg

Also for Portsmouth I'm thinking of fixing this to the top of E-Knock to give it a little PEP.

IMG_2018.jpg

What do you think?

What's the point? Even large & expensive EDF units have relatively low thrust of around 4Kg so you would need several fans to have reasonable pushing power. The bot will still need unpowered wheels or rollers to move on and you don't have reverse drive.

The point might be; "Because it can be done."

But it won't be very effective if at all.
    Could be fun, but I'd suggest using the idea and build a RC hovercraft to play around with.

Register To Comment