Register To Comment
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Eventorizon: Build Diary

Those batteries, in my opinion, will not be enough. I know other spinners with the same size and they are not man enough to handle weapon and drive at the same time. You have the voltage in there, but I fear, not the capacity.

You can easily get the 630w that that Scorpion produces at 4s, and even 3s with a little bit of searching. 6s seems completely unnecessary.

This, at 4s, produces over a horsepower and with 1.5:1 at that voltage would spin a 100g bar to ridiculous rpm in no time. I'd expect it to do it at a 1:1 ratio and just 3s, too. You could buy four and have enough left over for a spare set of pulleys for the price of one of those Scorpions. Of course, NTM motors don't represent the epitome of quality, but they're very easy to work with, and as I say you could have spares galore. Epoxy on the magnets wouldn't be a bad idea, but otherwise it should last the robot's lifetime just as well as the Scorp, for much less money, you claw back some weight, and it drops the need for at least one lipo.

If it weighs just 100g I'd run 3s, making life even lighter and easier.

Edit: Forgot the link lol: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rehouse_.htmll
    Last edited by Ellis; 2nd October 2013 at 15:28.

Ah, you have all beaten me to it.

That beetle setup is just plain stupid I have now decided. No idea what I will change it to but something that isn't so... stupid.

Not strictly about robots but defiantly linked...

I am now half way through Axminster's 5 Day Engineering course and things are looking good!

They have had us making parts with as many different techniques on them as possible and using as many different tools as possible.

2013-10-23 16.37.48.jpg

Right to left: Centre Punch (Untempered), V joint cutter missing its 5 cutting tips (machined them now but no pic), bar with 2mm Left hand thread, 2mm Right hand thread, 2mm double start thread and M16 thread with matching bolt (Very happy with the M16, no back lash what so ever!)

The last 3 parts are for a small grinding tool for finishing shafts and threads.

I have also taken the opportunity to get some help with Binky.

2013-10-23 13.39.02.jpg

The front scoops have just been cut off with a band saw but with their supervision I will be making a piece to fill in the gaps, making the front dead flat, which will be welded in before we face of the front with a mill to get a flat surface.

They also have the tools to modify Binky's disc. The 3 inner spikes will be cut off and ground back and then 1-2mm will be taken off the inner spokes on either side. If there is time about 3-44mm will be taken off the inside of the main ring on both sides. The aim is to reduce the weight to 3kg from 3.6kg. The weapon will still retain a very high inertia but will spin up faster and give us the 600g we need elsewhere.

They have also suggested some ways of restoring Binky's teeth. The best one seems to be using something similar to stick welding to build up a hard deposit on the teeth which can then be ground down.

Since the champs has now been announced I thought I would be the first to announce the progress of this years machines...

Binky is defiantly going to be making the list. After a mix of small issues last year she should be considerably better this time around. Most of the changes have been to the chassis and armour. The front armour and bulkheads have been reshaped to expose the disc so that we now don't have to get robots up onto the old front blade to hit them. To go with this the base has been stiffened with some triangles just in front of the wheels. The armour has been bent back into shape and has been rewelded on the outside with welds on every seam now on the inside too.

The reason for all this structural modification is to stiffen up the chassis. In the immediate aftermath of the first melee we had believed that 720 had bent our base plate so out wheels touched the ground. After reviewing all the angles we concluded that it was actually the rough landing from Little Flipper that had done us in. The landing was so hard that we snapped a major weld on the armour which was keeping everything flat and square. With this rigidity gone the 2mm Grade 2 Ti simply flex and and allowed the centre of the machine to ground out. 720 shoved us onto a join in the floor and that was all it took for us to be counted out.

The electronics remain the same as well as the drive system. The only changes are to the motor mounts which have been reprinted to interoperate brackets that hold the motors in place as well as mounts that hold the TZ85's away from the front of the machine.

Conker 3 on the other hand is just a pile of bits.

The Hardox and Titanium for the armour have been done for some time. The bulkheads are away being machined and should be back by the end of next week. The weapon should be back any day now from being cut too. Motor, batteries, esc's and the other electronic parts are all ready to go in. Parts that are missing are the Titanium bars for the top and front wheel mounts.

There will also be some experimental parts on the machine. The internal mounting for the batteries, ESC's and other parts will be 3D printed in ABS. This will not only be very lightweight but allow for compact and safe spacing of components. This will also include motor supports for the Banebots gearbox's so they don't get damaged.

But the biggest gamble will be the 3D printed HTD timing pulley and wheel mount units. Again printed in ABS, they will be printed with 100% fill and provide a much lighter and compact method of mounting the wheels. The rear mounts will have a central Keyway printed straight onto them to match the shaft of the Banebots gearbox's while the front will have recesses to take needle roller bearings.

Depending on what happens in testing I may have to include metal pins that run through the wheel units as the laying method of FDM modelling will leave them susceptible to sheering. The pins will help take the loadings that will be put on the in combat.

The final note is that Conker 3 will actually be underpowered. It will fight this year on 4S for drive and 10S for the weapon rather than 5S and 12S. This is simply because we would rather reuse the batteries we have which are lighter and then mess around for next year with the more powerful system when we know how the machine performs.

If you have reached this point... Thanks for reading :-D and see you at the champs!

Here is the progress of Binky's modifications

2014-03-07 14.38.00.jpg

2014-03-07 14.37.24.jpg

2014-02-25_18.13.01.jpg

The Main unibody of armour tucks under the new plates welded to the front of the machine. We will be adding a couple of bolts to join the main uprights to the new front section to make sure it is rigid. There are some shaping tricks to be done on the corners but thats all. You can also see the new beefy welding all over the armour.

We had been worried about horizontals getting in and bending the front out of shape but with the disc in the way there is such a small gap that anything coming in will hit the disc well before the armour.

Its all 2mm Titanium :-D

2014-03-14 22.00.30.jpg

Finally Conker 3's weapon is here! 2.3kg of Hardox 650. Single tooth design with toothed leading edge. Will be doing 11'000 RPM at full speed.

Register To Comment