Register To Comment
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Wooden Robot Class

In the words of the Blendtec people Don't breathe this!

I think allowing materials other than wood for things like brackets, angles, wpeaon mechanisms is fine, but like Danny said you can make bulkheads out of wood easily.
    I'd say use common sense, HDPE motor mounts I imagine wouldn't be going to far, but two 20mm HDPE bulkheads is perhaps too much.

No. No external metal.

If there is no external metal then what will your spinning weapons be made from.

I mean in terms of armour. We would need to make a clear distinction though. For instance if someone built a Ti spinning bar that would perhaps be taking the biscuit, but a steel circular saw that would be fine.

Wood working tools as weapons saw blades, chissels etc

Exactly, plus they would work well. KE weapons will be limited so that'll rule out f-off huge nasty spinning Ti bars.

How about axe weapons? An axe can produce quite high amounts of energy, but it's far more controlled than a spinner weapon.

limited to what?... was interested... just lost interest

Going by aussie rules if it's a weapon it can be metal so I'd personally say yes to a bit of metal for a scoop.

With some thick enough wood you wouldn't need hdpe mounts for motors, although you could use some as screw blocks to hold the robot together quite nicely. By all means have a small metal/plastic box to put expensive stuff like speedos in. We don't want robots getting too broken :wink:

I think a sheet of mdf that can make about 3 Rex's Robot Challenge robots costs near enough £10 from B&Q so I wouldn't want to rule it out as a material unless we do have spinners allowed then it would be a bad choice. Although with the slow spinner speeds conventional spinning weapons and saws won't be as effective so it could be all right.

As for restricting materials, limiting it to something like mdf would be best because some old roofing joists that I have lying around would be nigh on indestructible to a slow spinner and most weapons that could be successfully build in this class (sorry Alex )

Register To Comment