Register To Comment

Thread: Electric Axe featherweight - first build of FW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So, it is with bit of excitement that i get to say Wanna Chopper is attending Cheltenham this weekend.

Ive started the upgrades from Portsmouth already but failed to update this post!

some of the things i have been looking at is running 5S battery, to gain speed and more pace with the speed of the axe. I did get a smaller 12v scooter motor from a car boot sale, but i feel the lower wattage is not going to work as it is a 2 stage gearbox and low gearing to boot. I did look into going for my gears instead of the chain drive which means i could shorten the length of the bot to accomodate the smaller gearbox area required, but this is looking more like a complete rebuild and therefore not worth it for this.
    Visually the axe looks good as is so i shall leave that.

The head of the axe on the return was the same as the axe head on the front allowing for reverse attack hits. Sadly the shape of the axe head on the reverse meant it actually just hit the floor and ended up bending over the tip. I have decided to blunted this end meaning a slight weight saving but it no longer returns onto the floor. Less weight at the tip for the motor to swing too. I do still feel the arm size is still too chunky, may look at this tomorrow.

Im not happy with how the front wedge is mounted. The bolts do not fully line up with the bar behind so in the end only 30% of the bolts fitted. which was ok, but now there are more disks in the arena, i want that security. Im going to machine some more mounting bars and use the front plates to align the holes to then drill and tap the mounting holes into. This should make everything align up nicely.
    The front wedge plate also retains the electronics and battery from flying out, so i need to find a retaining thing to hold it all in if it were to be taken off.

I want to also add hardox onto the top to stop AL and his crusher from attacking my battery/motor again.
    The problem is thiat the weight of the extra panels is 600g, and i only have 200g spare. Need to think and get weighing correctly. I know im using heavy wheels, and could machine some new HDPE ones, but this may be too soon to the event to consider modifying these now.

I also still need to put grub screws into my motors, im happy with how they operate, just need to locktite and grub them up!

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    I want to also add hardox onto the top to stop AL and his crusher from attacking my battery/motor again.
    I wouldn't worry, it's currently in a box, in bits, in my shed.

Oh no! Has it broken or was it disassembled for modification? I really do like your machine!

So I have the bot a weigh on the work scales, and sadly the additional plates I’ve added have tipped it over to 13.7kg. I could potentially loose 2 plates on HDPE on the top which sit where the upper hardox plates covers, but these HDPE parts are also structural for the sides. Not sure I would be happy to loose these.
    The hardox should be capable to support it however.

On looking closer at the gearboxes, it seems that the casing clip has snapped leading to some sideways movement due to the weight of the robot. Will put in some new motor mounts and tighten up this fitting to hold the gearbox fully.

Hopefully with a few mods I can get the weight back down. I’m surprised at how light other people’s bots are considering what is in it. I am using 4kg of hardox mind.......
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 6th November 2018 at 19:46.

Not broken, just time for it to donate some parts to a new version over the winter.

Register To Comment