Update

Ditched the rear brushless support for now. Something wasn't lined up/welded properly and it was hindering the motor rotation slightly as a result; could probably bore out the collet hole a little more but will just stick with the front plate for now and see what happens.

Done a few wee bits and pieces on Drumroll over the weekend and tonight, but not a lot has changed visually so not much in the way of pictures. I've re-jigged the internals a little; the lipo has been moved from underneath the Scorpion XL at the back to the front next to the brushless motor:

Wasn't 100% happy with its original placement, plus the brushless ESC fits in better at the back than it does at the front. I've also fitted a foam-lined 3mm aluminium plate on top of it to hold it down, as opposed to the 1mm plastic piece I used previously. A decision somewhat triggered by the current discussions in the Lipo thread.

I can now also remove the lipo more easily by undoing the two socket screws that hold the ali plate down, whereas before I needed to faff about with wing nuts and four smaller socket screws to be able to take it out of the robot.
I've also got one of these:
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/power-battery ... 06643.html

that I'm planning on mounting in the robot so I can keep an eye on the total voltage and individual cell values. It's got a low-voltage alarm so should help with monitoring the state of the battery.

And finally, I've got the brushless ESC set up so the robot's now driving and spinning (just the motor). Still need to get a suitable belt to connect the drum as well as an inline fuse, but once I've got them then Drumroll will be ready to test. Then I can concentrate on re-fabricating the side armour and rear wedge (weight permitting) and paint it. Shouldn't be long now before it's finally finished again