Register To Comment
Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

yeh but Jamie is making a new version that should be better (no pressure Jamie )

Pressure? I laugh in the face of pressure mwuh ha ha ha :twisted:
    Nah, the new one should be much better. The current one can't run upside down, is quite slow and poor to drive. Because the drum weighs so much and there's nothing particularly heavy behind the wheels, the motors struggle to drive it as well as it should (if I take the outer shell and drum off the thing zooms all over the place)
    But don't worry Mart, Drumroll isn't getting retired. Just...err...downgraded
    Even if it gets smashed up by Savage Evo, it'll get repaired. Depending on the severity of the damage it might take a while but it will get repaired

Might get a CAD of Mk.2 up later today. It's a hangover Sunday so chances of doing work are slim. Just need to get a McDonalds, or maybe a steak and cheese Sub, and a coke and I'll be sorted, mmmm

Well in the end it was a Chicken and Bacon Ranch sub I had, helped the recovery process a bit

Couple of CADs of the new Drumroll II design. Nothing fancy to be honest, the main aim being to get all the components and as much power into as small a space as possible, thereby allowing for thicker armour.

Stats:
    2 x 12V cordless drill motors for drive
    6 x A123 cells giving a nominal 19.8V
    Scorpion XL speed controller
    2kw 1650kv brushless 'Align' motor powering the drum
    75A 'Align' brushless speed controller

Basic design:

12mm thick Nylon chassis drilled, tapped and bolted together. The drum is shorter in length with only two teeth so will weigh a little less but should be less taxing on the brushless setup.
    There will be armour, most probably hardox 4mm minimum, going around the wheels and a hinged wedge at the back. Not very good at drawing that sort of stuff in CAD though so I've given a CAD the Paint treatment. Just need to use your imagination a little

Haven't drawn in the Scorpion or brushless controller, don't tend to go that detailed. As long as I know there is space for them I'm happy. A quick size comparison with the current machine:

and again from the top. This one really shows the difference in size but its thanks to having a Scorpion XL, A123s and a shorter drum that I can downsize it so much:

So that's the plan, hoping to make a tentative start on it in June funds depending. The Nylon sheet to just get the chassis made costs £51 alone so I need to get my finger out and get a job!

Very nice Jamie

What is the thickness of armour on top? material?

also how tall

looking really good what CAD progamme do you use?

o yeh stop spending money on them expensive subways and save some money man if you don't buy any subway for a month you could easily afford the nylon

Not decided on top armour yet. If there's weight I might go for hardox, otherwise it'll be aluminium or polycarb. Thickness will probably be 4mm if hardox, 5mm if ali or 6mm if polycarb.
    Chassis height is 85mm, wheels are 120mm and the skids at the front are 130mm.

Cad program is Solid Edge, used by our uni as they could sell it to students for £5 a licence. They've now installed Solidworks on all the uni PCs which is more the industry standard. I really need to learn Solidworks, it's not too different from Solid Edge but because I know how to use Solid Edge I keep on opening that up rather than trying to learn SW.

And I only buy a Sub or two a month when I can't be bothered to cook :P

Mart, yeah I'll send you a copy of the old cad. What cad program do you use, or is there any particular file format that would work best for you? Maybe tomorrow before I send it as there are a couple of bits on it that could do with being updated

Jamie, why are you making it invertible when you've just perfected your special self-righting mechanism?

Jamie good sir, If i were you I would push the wheels back and that way u wont be able to be stacked on ur bum

Haha Dave, yeah maybe I shouldn't worry about invertibility, no chance it's ever going to land upside down!

Craig, that's a good point. I'll have a hinged wedge on the back but I didn't think about it getting stuck upright and the robot landing on its back. I don't want to move the wheels any further back than they currently are as turning will put more strain on the motors, but I'll put a couple of blocks on the back that stop the wedge from rising up more than, say, 15 degrees; that way if its lifted/flipped the robot should either fall back down on its wheels or go all the way over.

Register To Comment