Register To Comment
Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: RogueTwo Robots

Excellent cover

According to GiantCod, it weighs 86g:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/epower-2810-1 ... -p-50.html

Another reason I like it is because it's one of the few beetleweight-size brushless motors that has a 5mm output shaft and doesn't cost a bomb. I have no idea how it will perform yet or how big it is in relation to any other brushless beetles out there but considering every review on that page gives it five stars means it can't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by k_c_r
    I'm actually expecting the spinner mechanism to be one of the easier parts of both builds as mounting the brushless, fitting bearings and bolting in a shaft should all be pretty straight-forward (famous last words!).
    Yup, should've known I'd jinx it.
    Got the spinner setup mounted today but I'm far from pleased with it. Aside from being chunky and unbalanced, I broke several (what I thought would be good quality) drill bits, wasted a timing pulley as a result, had my corded drill crap out on me, bashed my (now painful) thumb with a hammer and, in general, got quite irritated. Although I've got a dedicated work space now, I haven't added any new tools yet that will help with construction (pillar drill, vice etc) which is something I seem to be forgetting. Making a good quality spinner setup, even at beetleweight level, isn't easy with just hand tools.

But moaning aside, here's where it's at:

The blue block is Nylon and I'm using it as a spacer, pulley mount and to minimise potential flex in the bar (which, in reality, probably won't be a lot) but aside from being a pain when trying to cut it, it gives the whole mechanism a horribly chunky look. Managed to spin up though, and the brushless motor seems decent enough. Didn't have the drives connected so couldn't steer it into stuff to test damage levels.

Also got little space to put the ESC, brushless ESC and receiver. The base I'm using was the most ideal piece of scrap I had to hand so it constrained the size of things a little. Overall it's not gone as well as I'd hoped, and I haven't even started on the flipper yet, so already I've lost motivation to get them finished for tomorrow evening. Can't be bothered rushing builds anymore, just creates more hassle than it's worth. I'd rather take my time over them and make them properly.

If you're not gonna manage to get it finished you can take either or both of my FW's with you if you're determined to bring some bots along with you, might be a bit on the big side for putting in a suitcase though

Haha, I reckon they'd fit in a suitcase, but doubt I'd have room for anything else. Not too fussed about not having something to take up with me though, as we've got plenty of other stuff planned for the time we're there (mainly drinking :P)

Danny, it weighs around the 1kg mark just now. That was including the Scorpion XL, brushless ESC and receiver. So ~300g for armour. It probably is quite vicious, but I didn't want to check while I was still standing next to it. Will try and get the drives running and do a weapon test

I'm impressed you got it it spinning so easily. Spinza runs a similar setup and it took ages to make the parts, assemble it and get it running. It's still not right now, but you seem to have something going in a matter of hours!

That may be, but it's as rough as a badger's arse!
    There aren't any bearings in it (the one I was planning on using got damaged because I forced it into a bit of a too-tight press fit hole) so it's just a 10mm hole drilled through everything with an M10 bolt acting as a shaft. It's also not exactly concentric so the belt loosens and tightens with every revolution.

And worst of all, I've just realised...........I've joined the HFTW brigade

Register To Comment