Register To Comment
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Pussycat Tribute Tournament 5

*decides to drop by to give his thoughts about a subject called originality*

originality is scarce people, it is, 99,99% of everything we do, wether it is on school, at home, or while designing vapourbots, has been done before, really.
    We basically use the same armours, the same movement type, the same engines and the same weapons. Almost every single FBS looks like every other FBS, cause theyre so bloody well-tested during the past years of roboteering... using ideas which have proven their worthy in the past isnt that bad at all, it might not be very original, so what?
    Every single bot which can put up a good fight gains my respect...
    Then there are the original machines, I highly respect a truly original bot, such as Alex Blizzard, and Ill respect them alot more when they can put up a good fight. And guess what happen when they do so, people will use that idea and itll lose its originality, except for the original which will always be original, cause trust me, when Blizzard gets his first good Tournament result, there WILL be other screwbots, and I dont think thats much of a problem at all, cause really, EVERY SINGLE APPROVEN CONCEPT HAS BEEN COPIED (and modified)

for this sole reason, there ARE vapourbots which look an awfully lot like Razer, Biohazard, Beta etc, cause theyre approven, even though it hugely lacks originality...

Originality is beatiful, it really is, but using approved concepts isnt bad at all, cause lets face it, isnt that what we do all day?

when it comes to Dan and Martyn, I havent got a clue whos wrong or right, but I really think anyone is free to use a tree shaker on his vapourbot, although Martyn does deserve credit IF hes the one who told this idea to Dan...

I also agree with Aron btw, the tree shaker might look good on paper, but it might take so much effort to build that the bot behind it might lack lotsa power and armour, o well...

thats actually what I meant

All my bots are now present and correct on my site.

Also I thank you for the completement Martijn, I do make an effort to try and make my creations interesting. Much to most peoples annoyance, it look me 3 tournies before the spinner ring sank in properly...

lol, I can tell you put effort in your designs Alex, the last few days I spend lotsa time reading bout other peoples vapours, to prepare for my all out comeback in vapourrobotering, I actually understood how the spinner ring would work the moment I read about it, its a fun gadget to absorb the kinetic energy unleashed by any horizontal spinner

Very nice speech Mr Martijn

Alex has huge amounts of originality on tap, some good(Baldur), some not(Ice Armour Robot), but everyone has a shocker of a bot now an again (Gyrate for me :sad

I remember back in the ole days of vapourbots, when every person had wheeled robots. I believe I was one of the very first people to start mass producing walkers in my entries :P Caused a lot of bitching and stuff. I also brought out Flea, a robot that jumped to evade the opponent. Was a simple box shaped rammer covered in rubber, but it was unique :-P

I try to be creative with technology. MDU was revolutionary in a certain respective. Sure, the FBS had been done before in the form of Gyrobot, but I tried the idea of going a walker design and using the extra weight to allow me the use of a Gas Turbine for the weapon power, which eventually got banned in some tourneys....

Sure MDU was the same boring cylindrical shaped FBS ring spinner, but the inner parts and technology was what made it different and original at the time. MDU 3 is based on the unique design of Y-Pout, similar shape, three wheels, three etek motors..... But I changed the controlling technology behind it to a similar system to Cyclone bot and added some stuff I had used before, like the variable drive train. Modifying what someone had already made has enabled me to make something unique in another area.

To sum it up, originality comes out in a number of forms. People I give credit to for some original designs are Nick, Steven, Alex, Matty Haka and Tom Roper, there are a few more of you, but this is just off the top of my head

The whole meaning of this post..... I forgot

Register To Comment