Register To Comment
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire

team_ireland
    No problem Jeremy.

Hopefully I might be able to attend one of yours or another persons social at another time.

Thanks
    Regards
    Ian

just got back,

it was very intresting that hearing some people are going round schools, colleges and unis with there own robots and own arena getting students into robotics and hearing about there arena they started to make with all hydrulic sides, metal floor made from a artick lorry.

thanks
    kenny

I am pleased to say that 20 people attended the latest Yorkshire FRA social on 8th January.This is a record.The meeting was held at the George and Dragon in Flockton.There was a lot of discussion over a range of issues.My summary of the social is here, and others are welcome to add their comments.

1. Kevin Scott, FRA Secretary, opened with an appeal for members to join up for 2005 at £5 each.Most of those present did so.
    2. Mario de Jongh and Elisabeth Van Son lead the discussion on €˜New Weapons for 2005€™.They said that there were unlikely to be any brand new weapons, and it was important that the rules did not inhibit creativity.There was a discussion about the potential for grappling weapons.As always views were mixed.
    3. Kevin Scott asked whether the maximum €˜free€™ weight allowance for CO2 should be restricted to 2kg on heavyweights.There was an alternative suggestion that all CO2 and fuel should be included within the 100kg limit.Most of the roboteers present did not feel strongly about this, but did not object to Kevin€™s suggested rule change.The question was asked about how this would be interpreted for featherweights, and was left unanswered.
    4. Andy Kane, FRA president, asked whether there would be support for a new class of heavyweights with a different set of rules that would offer new constructors a cheap entry-level introduction to the sport.Opinion was split between those who felt that this was the way forward, and those who favoured a division into classes with points scored giving promotion (or demolition) as in football.There were also those who wanted robots to be rated by an independent panel to determine their class.The FRA governing body will have fun with this one!(My personal view is the points system is the way to go as roboteers progressively improve their machines, and always like a competition to prove their robots against others.)
    5. There was widespread support for €˜How to Build a Robot€™ pages on the FRA website, and it was suggested that if a first draft were done (possibly by Babeth?) it could be added to by others with an impressive final edition published on the website.Contributions from roboteers can be sent to Kevin Scott (KScott9709@aol.com).
    6. Darren Brown and Bernard Mosley then spoke on the work that they were doing in Yorkshire encouraging children to take up engineering careers with the use of a 16ft square arena and 2 robots.They had been to 16 schools and colleges in the last year.In the future they hoped that there would be a development towards autonomous robots.These robots would be able to undertake a variety of tasks, and maybe not combat.They had been involved with the production of a hydraulically-powered arena on an articulated trailer (under the auspices of NARC) a few years ago. They gave up this idea when there was some negative reaction from some in the robot community.The FRA members present felt that this was a shame and wondered whether there was any way to resurrect the trailer.

There was a lot of general robot chit-chat as well, with a sharing of technical ideas.Mark Lumb showed us his latest featherweight, Little Hitter.This is a well-made robot with a vicious gas-powered spike that has a mixture of HDPE and titanium armour.Look out for it in 2005!

The landlady at the pub was very helpful, and welcomed us back.We took over the whole €˜dining area€™, so it is just as well that the pub does not do meals on Saturday evenings (although chips were provided for 4 roboteers).I told her that I had been asked whether a webcam with microphones (and speakers?) could be set up.She did not dismiss the idea, and thought that it may be possible to provide an internet connection for the meeting after next.

The next Yorkshire FRA Social is planned for Saturday 5th March in the same location.I have been told that there will be an event held in Nottinghamshire in February.

Must say, my ears pricked up when I heard about the articulated arena,the FRA has a brilliant forum,but I have always thought that it has no teeth,yes it can be influential,but what if we wanted to host the world championships,we cant allways rely on other arena owners to fit us in!.
    Seemingley,those guys from saturday night got grief from some members of the roboteering community when they first suggested thier arena-but times change,I believe the FRA should have such an arena-even if it is just to host the uk/world championships,as long a we work in co-operation with roaming robots,I dont see any problems-bring on the grief(if you must)in any case the idea certainly warrants more discussion.

I thought The FRA is not an Event Organiser and is not to own an arena i thought. The FRA is to bring together Event Organisers to help each other and help promote the sport etc and finally host a UK or World Championship. The FRA World Champs before it got called off due to poor ticket sales had 3 Event Organiers pulling together to do the event for minium cost. RoboDome offered a great price for the arena, Roaming Robots for the staff and XFM for the promo and organising it all.

Mr Stu

Register To Comment