Register To Comment
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire

Jerry, Put me down for this one also.

weve decided last minute to come :P

see you there

Report of Yorkshire FRA Social, 5th March 2005, George & Dragon, Flockton

13 people attended the latest Yorkshire FRA social on 5th March at the George and Dragon in Flockton. There was a short formal agenda and then a lot of discussion in small groups. Others are very welcome to add their comments to my minutes, and I would be grateful for answers to the questions that I have posed below.

1. Most of those present had already rejoined the FRA for 2005, and there was one who rejoined at the meeting.
    2. There was a discussion about Colin Scott€™s idea for FRA €˜Open Days€™ in pub car parks. Most present felt that it wasn€™t a format that would attract new people into the sport, particularly if there were only static displays. It was suggested that it could be made more exciting with video footage on screens of robot fights. It was also suggested that some might welcome a chance put a robot together if it had been deliberately dismantled. However most felt that it was the wrong venue, and that it would be better to aim the €˜Open Day€™ at a model fair where other RC models would be on display, and there would be a receptive audience.
    3. There was then discussion about Terry Carlin€™s €˜8ack€™ concept - All those present were given a copy of the material on his web-site. There was general agreement that the rules and scoring system were much too complex for audiences to grasp. (Terry, this was said without priming from me, although other members present echoed my feelings entirely.) It was also said that, bearing in mind the number of active robots, there needed to be a smaller clans and a limit on clan size. Having said all that there was no antipathy towards an interesting concept in robot combat.
    4. Ed Hoppitt then talked us through some of his alternative robot combat concepts, and some new potential options for locations.
    5. We were all asked to put up some very attractive posters for the robot show at Magna next Saturday.

The next Yorkshire FRA Social was planned Saturday 7th May. However the landlady at the pub told me at the end of the meeting that they wanted to open the dining area up for meals on Saturday evenings in the future. They would be pleased to see us on a Tuesday evening. I said that I would find out whether the roboteers would prefer to stay in the same place and move to a Tuesday evening, or go to another pub on a Saturday evening. Here are the questions for you.

1. Would you prefer to stay with 1st Saturday of every 2nd month, or move to 2nd Tuesday (eg. 10th May)?
    2. If you prefer Saturday would you prefer another location close to the M1 or in Huddersfield?

Please use this forum to give me your answers.

Jeremy

Register To Comment