Register To Comment
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Yorkshire

Just to say, I agree with Stu. The FRA needs to maintain a level of detactment from the actual running of events, so that the actual business of administerring this sport can be looked at objectivly by the association.

That said, it does strike me as a crying shame that all the work that went into the NARC arena, at this time, appears to be a waste. What we do need to be doing is supporting Darran and Bernard in their work promoting engineering through robotic combat, particularly as this is also promoting robotic combat through education. The best form of promotion for a live event has to be putting a robot in front of the public and telling them when and where they can see it fighting.

Jeremy, its a tricky one. I share your enthusiasm for making progress at these meetings, but at the same time, we do need to keep things fun.

Rather than introduce a little league in heavyweights, maybe we could use one of the currently less-popular weight classes (light or middle) as a springboard catagory?

team_ireland
    Steve not to stand on your idea or anything, but this is what was said about Featherweights not too long ago, now look at them, Its almost as hard to build a good featherweight as it is a heavyweight. I am all for getting more people into the sport, but I would prefer to have a Cheep heavyweight division rather than using a smaller weight class.

Also, People want to build heavys, I know I do but I realise there very diffivult to get into so atm I cant. If this cheep class came about, then I might be able to.

Regards
    Ian

I can see where your coming from Ian, and in part agree. My thinking is that I agree with you, in that building a good robot, in terms of skills, is pretty much as hard for any weight class.

However, in terms of construction cost, theres no way a lightweight/middleweight would cost anywhere near heavyweight money, as to get a decent amount of shove in a heavy, youre still looking at needing a pair of 1hp motors at the very least. VoA in the middles used 4 big cordless drills back in the day, this is perfectly practical for a lightweight, and a couple of old half hoursepower wheelchairs/granny carts could do the job in a middle.

Another thing that springs to mind is the practicality of moving it around, particularly for a younger team. A heavy takes 2 or 3 blokes to shift around, a middle could be moved without too much bother by a younger team.

However, the killer point for me is arenas, what we need is lots of local heat type events for this new class. So if things can be kept within a pretty basic arena, this can only help.

You can build a heavyweight for £350.oo including controller/reciever and all safety up to speck,using gas pneumatics(low pressure)sim motors,and still take on the best-I have-loads of times,hello to exterminator/terrorhurtz/kanopener/ripper/splinter/tan/ming-the list goes on,even achieved a win on the odd occassion......

No problem jim,I will make a invetory of all parts used and how they were put together.Really I would love to do an exploded view(haynes manual style)-parts and costings I can e-mail to you when ready,by the way psycosprout-one of yours?,if so your a true veteren RW series 1.

Stick us down please

Register To Comment