Register To Comment

Thread: BotFest 5

Team Kaizen

Hey everyone, we are well overdue for the next event, so here we go! Before this event is ran, I should hopefully iron out the issues we had with the video at BotFest 4 (I have the footage still but a lot of it is not usable with the audio in place).

Poulton
    Wallasey
    CH44 3BD

Date
    2nd of December 2023

Time
    11:00 - 17:00

As last time, we are planning to split the robots off into 8 round robin heats if there is sufficient numbers with the top robot of that heat going through the quarter-finals and then a straight elimination from there. If there isn't enough robots to justify 8 heats, we'll revert back to the 4 heat system with the top two going through as normal. As always, there will be a all robot rumble as well.

This is primarily an Antweight event but if you wish to do a static display of your Featherweight and heavier class robots, please feel free to bring them with cradles and sharps protection where needed (there will be a dedicated space for Featherweights and heavier). If you bring a non-spinner Beetleweight, we may look to doing something during the event. We are also open to running Fleaweights and Nanoweights if anyone brings them.

We will also be running community vote awards for:
    • Most impressive fight
    • Most orginal design
    • ...a few other possibly fun ideas!

As before, we are running a slightly modified variant of the AWS ruleset (http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm), those being:

2.a: All weight limits have a 5% variance as below. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the BotFest limit will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.
    Antweight: 157.5g (Roller) / 236.25g (Walker)
    Fleaweight: 78.75g (Roller) / 118.65g (Walker)
    Nanoweight: 26.25g (Roller) / 39.9g (Walker)

2.b: All size limits have a 5% variance, so the dimension cubed that your robot must into is below. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the BotFest limit will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.
    Antweight: 106.68mm
    Fleaweight: 80.01mm
    Nanoweight: 63mm

4.a: All heat matches will last 2 minutes. All other matches (except the All Robot Rumble and Side events) will last 3 minutes. The All Robot Rumble will last until one robot remains mobile. Side event runtime are determined on the day.

5.k A team is permitted to enter up to 3 robots of either a roller or walker.

This is a quite laid back event, ideal for both newcomers to the sport and for experienced peeps looking to get their new designs tested before a more major event like AWS (though I know this year, BotFest is happening after AWS). No objections to people coming to watch if so desired.

Hope to see you all there!
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Great to hear, I may be able to bring some friends along to fight with some of my other ants to help boost the numbers.
    Powerhouse Robotics

Team Kaizen

Coolio, good to see you there!

Signups are now available - https://rampagebots.co.uk/member/events/show/128. I'll leave this open until the day.

Team Kaizen

Shame! Will catch you up at the next one or if I can make it to Dojo one day!

Will there be any changes to the arena from BotFest 4, namely the small gap along the wall opposite the pit?
    Powerhouse Robotics

Team Kaizen

There should be, yes. I am planning to add in some proper lighting and yes filling in that gap.

Team Kaizen

Thanks to everyone who turned up last weekend. We had a good turn out a 44 robots and possibly one of the most even fields BotFest has ever had with 4 playoffs for the quarters. Video footage will be worked on this week and uploaded ASAP.

As announced at the event, BotFest will be moving to a weekend long event next year with the traditional AW's being ran on the Saturday and FWs been ran on the Sunday since I have accquired the pay to drive arena from Robots Live. Exact date is TBD but I would be looking for a July/August timeframe. The FW arena does need some work to make it combat safe but nothing that cannot be overcome. I may post some renovation videos on the Team Kaizen YT channel, unsure yet.

Glad to hear that the Featherweight arena has gone to a good home! Will be great to have feathers in the North West

Team Kaizen

Yes, it will be! Hope to see you at the next BotFest!

Register To Comment