Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight build

Triceratop
    Hi, found some 24v 30w DC motors, would these be competitive enough for a FW drive (one to each axle - 2no. axles)?

potentially, but what is their weight and you will also need to consider the gearing.
    The google search i did shows they are a bit larger than normal drive motors, but this is not specifically your 24v 30w motors

Triceratop
    They run at stated '24v @ 6000rpm full speed', I was going to run them on 12v (3000rpm potential) with direct drive to the wheel (130mm dia). The acceleration can be set on the handset. If it comes to it I have room for a gearbox. Going for 24v so I can upgrade later if I feel it necessary
    Any thoughts???

Team Kaizen

I would seriously recommend a gearbox (even a simple single stage reduction) to make the machine more drivable - typically planetary gearboxes are used in the FW class. Have a read through the build diaries here to see what folks are using.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Triceratop
    Thanks Michael, what output shaft speed would you recommend? There are some 75w 12v & 24v motors with reduction gearboxes, giving very high torque, but the output shaft rpm is only 470. Feels a little slow, again any thoughts?

Team Kaizen

That is a little low but can be compensated for with slightly bigger wheels. The Honey Badger 3 ran both 4S (13.2v nominal) and 6S (19.8v nominal) LiFe batteries at Grantham and both were suitably nippy (4S was more controllable on the floor though ).

The motors I use come up to about 1000rpm with no load on 4S and is definitely on the fast end of what FW's have but 470rpm output on 4 or 5 inch wheels should be perfectly respectable.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Triceratop
    I agree, 470 rpm on 130mm dia wheels should only give a theoretical speed of 11.3km/hr. I'm guessing I should be aiming for around 15 to 20km/hr. Remembering of course traction has to be gained at the point of acceleration. Shall look for reduction gearbox....

Yes, propdrives can be a good motor for a feather, and we have decent results with a SimonK flashed Turnigy TZ85

Register To Comment