Register To Comment
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Haynes Manual Build a Robot

My Sabretooth ESC (thanks again Dave) is a good few years old now, and going as strong as ever.

It also helped that my robot was only 4.2kg, I never went full throttle because it would swerve violently, and the wheels had virtually no grip and no opportunity to draw those amps. But the thing worked and survived, and didn't need any padding either (barring velcro).

Your issue isn't with the ESC, it's with the receiver. The same thing happened a few days before Gloucester. Powered it up, turned the Tx off as a test. Kept moving. The failsafe feature doesn't seem to be on the 2x12, it may be on the 2x5 (the switch diagrams are different; I was using the 2x5 one for my 2x12). Regardless, I had to buy a whole new radio set for it to work, Hitec Optic 5: given me no problems so far.

The Minima 6T has been great for me, though I'm not the best for radio advice (it came with the Tx and hasn't died yet).

Team Kaizen

TBH, anything from the OrangeRx range is good (I use a Tx6i + R618XL) but you do need to check that the receiver you are using transmits on the protocol that the transmitter uses (So DSMX to DSMX, DSM2 to DSM2 for example). This isn't normally a issue as both the one I use and the one DoubleTrouble noted above support both.

Certain models of receiver, like the FlySky series I think, have proprietary protocols which means you can only use their model of receiver with their transmitter. Same for the Devo 7E but those can be flashed with a firmware update to support the DSM protocols I believe.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Team Kaizen

I don't own a Dx6i so I don't know if this will work for you but on my OrangeRX T6xi, I am able to do mixing on the transmitter (where two channels are controlled by one stick). Using this, I am able to use a pair of TZ85As to drive The Honey Badger 2 (my featherweight) and will be doing so for its successor.

If you can't use transmitter mixing, then a secondary mixer also works well and has the same effect as described above but these can burn/break on you, leading to a loss of control.

Team Kaizen

Makes sense, I can't see them being that expensive

Going back to the ESC stuff, a FeatherTwo Dual is likely to be more reliable than a Sabretooth and possibly better value for money - I know Madusa uses one but with any dual ESC it would seem, there is a tradeoff in terms of how much amperage they can deliver to a motor. I would prefer going with a setup described above as it can handle more load but it is more complex to get set just so (I spent an hour tuning the trims on my transmitter to get it moving in a straight line).

Beyond that, things like wiring in a LED and removable link is relatively straightforwards.

Register To Comment