Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shrapnel - Feather Vert Spinner

Hope I don't have to fight this thing! Looks awesome though!

What are those wheels? I have seen a few people using them but cannot find them online.

Quote Originally Posted by TechAUmNu View Post
    What are those wheels? I have seen a few people using them but cannot find them online.

I think there custom, reading what MicroGravity100 said in a early post

EDIT: also in addistion how well will carbon fibre take axe/hammer strikes as isn't it brittle?
    Last edited by Maxamuslead; 21st August 2017 at 19:07.

Cheers guys! Its certainly coming together better than I expected!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    How much does it weigh currently?
    I'm not sure, I'm not looking forward to weighing it!

Quote Originally Posted by TechAUmNu View Post
    They're contact wheels from belt grinders, I got them off Aliexpress and 3D printed my own keyed hubs for the front, pressed in bearings for the back. Front wheels are one 50mm wide wheel sawn in half

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    how well will carbon fibre take axe/hammer strikes as isn't it brittle?
    It is brittle, and it probably won't take a heavy axe blow without cracking but if you wanna throw an axe near that disc be my guest and see how long it stays on :3

Got my machined 7075 pulley today, courtesy of Calum:

Absolutely perfect; bearing pressed in with ease and it fit straight on the bot without issue:

Gave it a spin by hand and it runs smooth as

Test vids to come soon!

Last edited by Revsmin; 21st August 2017 at 22:58.

very nice! good to see it on the robot!

INSOMNIA 61

Belts and shaft arrived the day before the event so frantically put it all together that night and boom, the ESC blew testing the drive with belts. Thanks to Dave W for lending me his FeatherTwo which was perfect, will be getting myself one rather than replacing the Scorpion XXL. So, all together all wired up at the event:

And in weight and with 900g to spare!

Fed it some wood on the Friday for tests and utterly demolished it

Starting to believe it could be nasty! So, draws done, and I get:

Impulsor and Persephone - Two wedgebots
    Legion and Binky - A flipper and another big vert disc
    Neon and Steve - MASSIVE undercutter and grabby wedge thing
    Shard and Carcinus - Horrible vert disc and horizontal pinchy thing

Starts pretty nice and gets progressively nastier!

Fight 1:

Ok so it hits harder than I expected
    Impulsor is all mild steel so when I hit it I left a massive cut down the side, top to bottom:

As for the other one... ow?

I was taken aback by how well it performed in its first fight, I was expecting something to break or explode but it came out and only needed the battery charging! However at this point I did realise it was drawing too much current for the battery and had used half the capacity in that one 50sec fight alone :/ . So I guess keep fights short!

Fight 2 never happened, Binky and Legion withdrew and I got a bye for max pts which put me on 8 for the first day of fighting

Fight 3:

I think that may be the biggest impact of the entire competition! Neon ripped out the drive link and one of the shaft bolts sheared, bodywork damage was non existent bar a few dents on the disc. Most of the damage was self inflicted; the disc managed to hit the motor pulley and destroyed one side. Motor circlip imploded but the motor itself was mostly fine. I had a spare but left it in as I would rather not put in the brand new motor just for it to get killed against Shard later on. I removed the snapped rear drive shaft and replaced it with another, good as new.

SLOWMO IMPACT GIF

Fight 4:

succ

Carcinus wasn't around so I just had a one on one with Shard. So I had a throttle cut setup on my tx to limit the throttle to 50% to prevent gyro, unfortunately if its on when the robot is powered on it prevents the weapon ESC from arming so on activate my weapon wouldn't spin
    By the time I realised it was already too late and it was in the Standard Ripto Loss Position:

Sad
    But at least its authentic to the original I guess, and I think I would've come off with a lot more serious damage if I hadn't got stuck

So the last place and second place gained me another 3pts bringing my total up to 11pts. They informed us that there were 2 too many machines on 11pts for us all to go through, so we would have to fight in two 3-way melees to eliminate the two extras.

Fight 5:

BOOM
    No real damage to Omega, that things a brick. However you can see the belt come off after the hit; The disc actually wobbled a tiny amount and hit the pulley again, this time much harder, snapped the shaft clean off, pulley and all. So, replaced the motor with the spare, and repaired the other drive shaft which had bent and come loose as well.

Obligatory gif I can't stop watching

THROUGH TO THE FINALS

And still looking pretty damn good despite those big hits!

Draw for the finals was done, I got Straddle aka British HUGE.
    Straddle's a weird one, a hybrid of Gabriel meets bar spinner than really I had no idea what to do with

cont...
    Last edited by Revsmin; 29th August 2017 at 00:28.

Fight 6:

We traded blows, each left some marks on the other:

Fatal blow for Straddle seemed to be a power cable coming loose, which was a shame. I managed to smoke a drive motor in that fight, not sure how because the gearbox was fine but replaced it with a spare given my Rory of team Nuts who also helped wire it into the bot while I bummed about sharpening the wedge ready to fight my next opponent: Explosion

Fight 7:

And here's a gif taken from the judges table where it hit the wall:

The lead up to that was very dull really, just two very low bots trying to keep facing the other until we finally figured out Explosion was marginally lower :P
    And yeah it bounced off the wall and landed back in the arena! Unfortunately for me as soon as you hit the outer wall you're eliminated so I didn't get a second shot but it was pretty incredible all the same! Oh and I left a nice great gash in the wall:

So, out at the quarter finals, which for a brand new robot at its first event is pretty damn good! Finished 5th overall which I'm extremely happy with! Some modifications to make before next time, mostly just small things though as I'm very happy with the overall shape, design and performance.
    So then:

THE GOOD
    - Contact wheels: tons of grip and they show no sign of wear at all, really impressed with the quality
    - Cheap HK carbon fiber: Been through all that without so much as a small crack, incredibly strong stuff for the weight
    - NTM heli motor: Absolutely buckets of power, disc was reaching full in just over 2 seconds and no issues with it breaking bar the shaft getting hit by my own disc!
    - Shock mounted drive: Zero gearbox issues at all, none of the shock went through them and they just kept going
    - Shoulder bolt shaft: Didn't get a chance to cut and tap the titanium shaft so went with a £12 M16 shoulder bolt instead, no problems with it at all, not bent in the slightest.

THE BAD
    - Rear drive shafts: Mounting them using the thinner threaded end of the shoulder bolt was not a good idea. One sheared and the other was bent, will be doing them differently moving forward.
    - Hardox 500 disc: While 500 survived ok, the tooth has worn very quickly. I think with how hard it hits it needs to be 650 next time.
    - 2.2ah battery: Nooooope. Not big enough. Not enough capacity, gonna get a 4ah for next time to be safe
    - Ground clearance: The big wide wedge was VERY low towards the end of the comp, but it wasn't enough for Explosion or Shard so for next time there will be some new front attachments to counter them better
    - Straddle: How tf do you fight that?? Well I have a few ideas I'll be putting into CAD to try out for next time

Had a great time at the event, really happy with the robot
    Shrapnel will be back next time with improvements!
    Last edited by Revsmin; 29th August 2017 at 01:52.

Team Kaizen

Great to see the robot in action, mighty impressive hits with it! Well done

Can the disc tooth be reshaped so it is not so much a tooth but a block (al a Nightmare from Battlebots)? Would that be more impact resistant I wonder?
    Last edited by Ocracoke; 29th August 2017 at 00:41.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Quote Originally Posted by Ocracoke View Post
    Can the disc tooth be reshaped so it is not so much a tooth but a block (al a Nightmare from Battlebots)? Would that be more impact resistant I wonder?
    It would but one of the reasons Shrapnel hits as hard as it does is because of the aggressive angle on the tooth, making it square would increase its lifetime but would lessen the impacts

I found a better angle on the Straddle fight:

It seems when the back shaft bent and the belt came off it got jammed and while I was demonstrating I was still mobile to the judges it seized and stalled the motor out :/
    Definitely need to sort those shafts! Will try and get some better fitting belts too so I don't need to tension them so heavily

Team Kaizen

It would but one of the reasons Shrapnel hits as hard as it does is because of the aggressive angle on the tooth, making it square would increase its lifetime but would lessen the impacts
    I suppose that is the age old issue of outright performance over longevity.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment