Register To Comment

Thread: Luna-Tic (beetleweight)

Okay, dumb question time again!!

Looking to get a 20kg servo for the lifter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-HD-4...gAAOSwTglYlokr

two questions.

I know they plug directly into the receiver, but the description mentions torque with the amount of volts. So do these servos need a direct supply from the battery as well?!

AND if so, if I want to run a 3s system will this be too much for the servo only stated at 6.6volts..!?!?!

Thank you again!

AND...........

Battery capacity. Read on another thread that 1000mAh would be more than enough to last a battle. Luna-Tic (BW) is going to be used taking part in several exhibition matches throughout the day with no chance to recharge batteries. So what sort of mAh (ish) would be okay for this or better idea is to purchase two or more 1000mAh's....?

Just thought of something else.. Fuse's.. Assuming Beetles need them too if using a lipo. What's the go to brand/type. The maxi ones used in the feathers is quite bulky for a beetle!?!??!
    Last edited by cjsowry; 13th May 2017 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsowry View Post
    Okay, dumb question time again!!

Looking to get a 20kg servo for the lifter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-HD-4...gAAOSwTglYlokr

two questions.

I know they plug directly into the receiver, but the description mentions torque with the amount of volts. So do these servos need a direct supply from the battery as well?!

AND if so, if I want to run a 3s system will this be too much for the servo only stated at 6.6volts..!?!?!

Thank you again!
    Hi Chris

the servo will be powered by the receiver yes, but that needs a 5/6v supply of it's own, which it usually gets from the BEC from one of your speed controllers. You should be careful however that the current draw from the servo won't be above what your BEC can supply (Ebay listing doesn't mention how much it needs for the one you linked). If so you will need a separate BEC to power the receiver, I use this one in my beetle lifter https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-for-lipo.html . So in my case I run a 4s battery, the drive gets 4s, and the receiver / servo gets a stepped down 6v.

Hope that's some help

James

Quote Originally Posted by cjsowry View Post
    AND...........

Battery capacity. Read on another thread that 1000mAh would be more than enough to last a battle. Luna-Tic (BW) is going to be used taking part in several exhibition matches throughout the day with no chance to recharge batteries. So what sort of mAh (ish) would be okay for this or better idea is to purchase two or more 1000mAh's....?

Just thought of something else.. Fuse's.. Assuming Beetles need them too if using a lipo. What's the go to brand/type. The maxi ones used in the feathers is quite bulky for a beetle!?!??!
    It sounds like my beetle has a very similar setup, and 1000mah lasts quite a while (~15-20 mins) in mine, I would probably suggest just taking a couple of spares to swap in.

Not sure what others use, but I use a car blade fuse + holder like this kind of thing- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Standard-B...item41a3970728 Its also my removable link, but its a bit fiddly to get in and out, some people seem to do better using an XT60 or something similar for that.

Hope that's some help

Jimmy

Building the same design for my feather and heavyweight. So I will have a family of Luna-tics...! (4WD lifter with massive lifting wedge or scoop)!!

Sort of helps, just to clarify. DON'T use the BEC from the ESC's. remove the 'red pin' from the connector. (had to do that on my feather!!) Get the item you mentioned above, fits in the circuit and powers the reviver for BOTH the servo and the receiving of the signals from the transmitter.

think I'll get two of those 1000mAH batteries. the higher capacity you go the price snowballs as does the weight!! lol

used the XT60's in the feather, good that they don't fall out with knocks but getting the damn things out when you want, was a pain. for less than £2, give that fuse a go!!
    Thank you!!

Cool. Yes, thats right and is what I would personally recommend doing with the BECs. Most Escs are only rated to give you 1A or 1.5A to the receiver, and the 20kg servos I've tested generally pull in the region of 3.5A - 4.5A.

Probably just best to experiment when you get the batteries, 1000mah will be more than enough but duration it does will vary massively depending on how agressively its driven!

This event is in a field, with no access to power. Lol. Got my mini arena built ready.

Register To Comment