Register To Comment
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Death - New Heavyweight

looks cool, very different

My kind of engineering!!! Whats it weighing in at already ?

Looking great, very industrial and old school! I worry slightly that the narrow wheelbase and long body will make turning difficult, but time will tell.
    The connection between the dozer blade and the body looks to be fixed. Any possibility of making it pivot left/right using an actuator, in a similar way to how some dump trucks steer? That would be super cool

Loving the look of this, great work! I hope you keep posting lots of pictures as you progress

Redirect Left
    Cheers for the replies everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Looking great, very industrial and old school!
    I did joke to Colin that it looked like it was about to take a heap of the pebbles and go and dump it somewhere else, it does indeed look quite industrial!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    I worry slightly that the narrow wheelbase and long body will make turning difficult, but time will tell.
    The connection between the dozer blade and the body looks to be fixed. Any possibility of making it pivot left/right using an actuator, in a similar way to how some dump trucks steer? That would be super cool
    In the image, the wheels and scoop are actually floating, and yet to be connected to anything. So there is room to do most things still before any finalisation occurs. For the steering, we may also put a third wheel in, depending how it steers and if it can drive satisfactory or not on the two with the scoop dragging on the floor or if that slows it down too much, makes turning too awkward or gets stuck on debris / floor tiles too often. The scoop is intended to be more of a weapon than just a scoop however...

At this point, it's still in our heads on how most of the end product will work, literally nothing is written down and we work from ideas, discuss them, that seems fine, lets try that!
    The end thing probably won't look that industrial, after its been painted. Although that is something to consider, keeping it industrial in regards to the paintjob...

Quote Originally Posted by katch View Post
    My kind of engineering!!! Whats it weighing in at already ?
    I would guess somewhere around 25-35kg, although i'm not that strong of a person so i might be misjudging it....

Quote Originally Posted by Al_ View Post
    Loving the look of this, great work! I hope you keep posting lots of pictures as you progress
    I'm sure we will, the main problem is just remembering to take them!
    Last edited by Redirect Left; 9th May 2017 at 13:37. Reason: i suddenly forgot how to spell

More progress with Team Deaths heavyweight today.
    As usual I like to have a wander round the car boot sales before I start work on the
    Robot for two reasons-one-if your looking for cheap bits for a robot build it can sometimes
    come up trumps and secondly I like the banter.
    Today the boot sale delivered the goods on three fronts, I managed to get a vital bit
    of Robot fabrication metal in the form of a Wheel clamp £8 three bags of bolts of the
    perfect sizes £5 and a antique hammer thats perfect for welding pinkin £1-see picture 1.
    So in the afternoon I started on the Robot again, Adam was not available this week
    as he will be in Scotland to watch the filming of Robot Wars.
    Although the bodywork of the Robot is 3mm mild steel it dosen't offer great structural
    protection against spinners so I worked on strengthening issues.
    I cut to size to lengths of steel box section to form the backbone of the robot and
    welded them in place.
    These sections will eventually be supporting the Wheel support bearings and I
    measured very carefully to make sure there would be no issues like for instance
    where the bearings are bolted.

The car boot purchase of the wheel clamp was cut to shape to accomodate the rear
    of the rather large wheels and this was the tail section of the robot-the colour of
    the wheel clamp was very like the gas cylinder and I regard that as a good omen.
    Heres some more pictures of progress thus far.....
    DSCN1738.jpgDSCN1730.jpgDSCN1739.jpgDSCN1741.jpg

Redirect Left
    Looking good, even a matching colourr. I'm almost becoming attached to a black & white colour scheme...
    I'm looking forward to being back in action on the Team Death robot next Sunday, for now I'm on a Megabus speeding through Berwick-upon-Tweed towards Glasgow.

Hi David
    I think that's when its time to splash the cash-regarding drive train/motors and
    speed controllers, I cant see me picking up sprockets and chains at a car boot
    sale or speed controllers and motors in a skip.
    At some point Adam and myself were going to put a call out for a complete
    set up,we are still at quite early stages but if anyone has a full system-ie
    speed controller/motor/drive system WHY at a second hand price,get in touch.
    Because the wheels are large on our robot I'm probably looking at a drive ratio
    5 to 1 minimum.
    May even consider buying complete robot-not to dismantle but to share a similar
    drive system.

Redirect Left
    Another Sunday, which means another update to this build diary!

Today we spent a while reinforcing one side of the bot, and aligning things up for the bearings. Before using a lathe to fashion the rods that'll go through the wheels and to a bearing either side. My first time using a lathe since high school Design & Tech lessons, safe to say i'm a little out of practice and will need to be a little more accurate, but can't expect miracles on the first time in 10 years!

We also managed to weigh the bot, plus everything we have currently that'll go on/in it, and it came to 43.5kg. Colin estimates the bulk of the weapon will be around another 10-15kg, so that gives us plenty of room left for the electronics, which compared won't weigh much at all, and gives lots of space for bulking up armor if needed.

Next week we'll repeat this for the other side and wheel with what we have learnt doing this, hopefully second time around it won't take quite as long to get the measurements correct, and we'll have time to do other stuff on top of that!

Register To Comment