Register To Comment

Thread: Team Darklight - Featherweight Axe/Hammer diary

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So having completed my first proper (as in, to spec) build, the Beetleweight "Knight Of Ni" (http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...t-beetleweight) - then finding a lack of actual events it could be taken to coupled with wanting a bigger challenge - I've started work on a successor in the form of a new Featherweight Axe/Hammer robot. It's inspired by a mixture of other Robot designs, with Beta being an obvious influence.

The goal is to be done with the build by 14th April in time for i60, assuming that RoboChallenge runs their regular Featherweight event then and it's ready to be entered.

It's been in design the last few months, and is shaping up quite nicely. Some small things are still to be decided upon, but it's mostly there:

TeamDarklightFWAxe_3DRender1.jpg TeamDarklightFWAxe_3DRender2.jpg

The majority of the major parts have now arrived, so it's just assembly time now. I've built a prototype frame with assistance from my Dad (he has a rather large workshop in which the build will be done), just so that I can check the measurements in the 3D model match up with components in the real world. I've proven it does - having placed the Motors, ESCs, batteries, etc up to the prototype which was made from measurements taken from the 3D model, it all fits properly

TeamDarklightFWAxe_PrototypeFrame.jpg

Current spec:

2x Gimson GR-EP-45 12-18V Motors 13.7:1 (drive)
    1x 555-based 12V Motor w/10:1 gearbox (current weapon power, subject to change)
    A123 cell based battery packs (split into 2x packs run in parallel; 4/5 cell TBD)
    3x Tz85A ESCs, brushed modded myself (drive and weapon)
    OrangeRx R615X Receiver
    80mm dia. castor-style wheels with custom mountings
    20mm Alum frame
    TBDmm steel armour all round (exact material TBD)

Updates are likely to be irregular, but will try to follow as the build progresses
    Last edited by qbnut; 30th December 2016 at 20:52. Reason: Whoops, typoed my own robots name!

Register To Comment