Register To Comment

Thread: Pucky Prototyping & Build

After watching Robot Wars and seeing the power of some of the new bots I really liked the concept of the full body spinner (like Mr Speed Squared) and have decided my next robot should be a spinner. Not only that but I want to try something that I don't believe anyone has done yet(probably because they're sensible) and build a spinner with a custom brushless motor which is hollow which houses the rest of the bot. The entire build centers around this. I could use friction drive, I could cut gearing into the blade but these are proven ideas that already have been validated. I want to see if I can pull it off and if its even remotely viable enough to create a competitive weapon.
    The prototype will not fit into a weight class. I want to focus on developing the motor first, before applying it to a competition bot. I fully expect to make 10 motors before getting something that runs well enough to be remotely competitive.
    This is my first CAD mock up of the weapon assembly. The green part is the stator, which I intend to 3D print for the prototype testing, If I can find a way of doing it without spending a bucket load of cash I will create the final version using electrical steel laminations like a commercially produced stator. There is then a 0.5mm air gap between the end of the stator and beginning of the rotor. The rotor is the cutting disk which I will have cut from steel and install the magnets to it. This CAD doesn't show it but I intend to make this thicker by about 5 - 10 mm on each face and support it laterally by creating two roller bearings which will allow the disc to spin but not move.

This will allow me to test the real world power behind the weapon and allow me to tinker with different setups for magnets, coils and coil gauges. Once I find one that works I will work on creating Puck(Named so as it reminds me of a hockey puck) . This will probably end up being a featherweight bot by my current estimations. The CAD design I've done here was intended to be a beetle, however after as much trimming as I could bear it was 2.5kg. Hence the prototype first, competition later as I want this to be built right and not explode because I made that support too thin on my first attempt at what could be a very powerful weapon if it works as well as I hope.
    Pucky.pngPucky2.png
    The model on the right does fit a battery and ESCS, with ample room for wiring. I haven't modeled a place for the removable link, my current idea is a flap on the top to access it but i'd love constructive criticism on this.

And that is my crazy plan. A hell of a project for my 3rd bot, but I'm determined to give it a good go.
    I'm in my final year of college so am quite busy, so expect updates to be few and far between, but I will start once i'm back at college and have access to the CNC and 3D printing equipment.

Edit: While writing this post I found someone who had the same sort of idea on Robowars101. Glad to hear this may not be such a crazy idea. The post can be found by Sketchy http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewto...t=novel#p56970
    Last edited by Piggeh; 27th August 2016 at 22:49. Reason: Grammar

Looks like a completely nuts idea, my first thought would be the tolerance for a motor . The slightest de-formation of that outer ring and it will just stop working. You might want to seperate it from direct impact.

What RPM could it reach? Would it be more than is permitted for a full body spinner in other words. I imagine the motor uses electromagnets on both sides?

Register To Comment