Register To Comment
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New HW design - Omni Wheels and 30kW spinner

A piece of hardox 750*750*40 weights 178 kg, and with a kilo-price of hardox being around £3 you're talking up £600.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    A piece of hardox 750*750*40 weights 178 kg, and with a kilo-price of hardox being around £3 you're talking up £600.
    OK, so getting some more parts in the middle should significantly decrease the per part price.

Or the other option would be to do what we did with the middle weight typhoon and either salvage or purchase a piece of metal pipe with roughly the right dimensions and weld some hardox teeth onto it.

We want to make some kind of spinner protection for our bearing system, so can probably use a lot of the middle for that.

Have you tried tapping holes?

Tapping in hardox? Haven't done it but I'm aware that the SSAB website says it's possible. Probably need some taps a bit better than a set from silverline etc.

You can drill and tap Hardox 450 with good quality HSS tools. But those well be worn out after 1 or maybe 2 uses.

Hardox 500 forget it, unless you have full hardmetal tools.

If you tap holes in the ring, you will first need to drill them to the right diameter; waterjetting won't leave a consistently round hole. Like any hard metal, the hole will need to be sized for a lower thread engagement. Saab may have some suggestions, I would guess at 50% or less to save the sap from breaking. Taps designed for hardened steel usually have cobalt and vanadium and an oxide over nitride coating. You will also need a heavy duty cutting oil.

Update: How about making a tapped steel spacer and pressing that into a hole in the ring? If you are attaching armour to both sides , then it can't pull out.
    Last edited by overkill; 4th September 2016 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    If you tap holes in the ring, you will first need to drill them to the right diameter; waterjetting won't leave a consistently round hole. Like any hard metal, the hole will need to be sized for a lower thread engagement. Saab may have some suggestions, I would guess at 50% or less to save the sap from breaking. Taps designed for hardened steel usually have cobalt and vanadium and an oxide over nitride coating. You will also need a heavy duty cutting oil.

Update: How about making a tapped steel spacer and pressing that into a hole in the ring? If you are attaching armour to both sides , then it can't pull out.
    Nice idea! That sounds much easier than tapping the hardox.

Here is what I have managed to do today.

Dropped to 35mm hardox, and added some 6082T6 tracks/reinforcement for the skateboard wheels to run on.

ring assembly.jpg

Happy to help! In the last CAD render, are the gear teeth cut into the hardox ring? I cant see how the bearings are going to run on the ring's ID if it has teeth cut into it.

Here is an alternative bearing arrangement that I'd like some feedback on:

It uses a pair of 30205 tapered roller bearings, which are very common & cheap. They are enclosed in a stepped roller that distributes force from the ring and keeps them aligned. here are the pros & cons compared to having separate vertical & horizontal bearings

PRO:
    * Half as many bearings to mount & maintain.
    * The bot can have a lower over-all hight, which offsets the weight of the rollers.
    * The armour above the ring can be lower, which offsets the weight of the rollers.
    * The ring is much lower, which is more effective against most bots and harder for vertical spinners to damage.
    * Less (or no) armour needed under the ring.

CON:
    * Increased friction between the ring and the lower shoulder of the roller.
    * Might be more complex to assemble.
    * The rollers might increase the over-all weight unless the smaller side armour and fewer bearings & their supports offset the roller weight.

Register To Comment