Register To Comment
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New HW design - Omni Wheels and 30kW spinner

Well just one of the 4 plates we needed for each the original omni wheels would cost £400 from protolabs (£4800 for the 3 wheels). The same part would cost us £15 to mill ourselves (£180 total)! That's more than our mill cost to build lol.

A fair price for the time involved in machining them all. You don't have to pay yourself for your time so it works out cheaper.

Yeah. Although I also put in a 100x100x20mm 6061 plate with 1 hole and it was £200, so seems they are just really expensive to start with. Which comes from being a quick turn prototype place.

I have been asking for quotes for our iD620mm oD700mm thickness 40mm hardox ring with 50 10mm holes spaced round it and it seems kinda expensive. Lowest was from k-cut at £1095 + VAT which is kinda a lot! Where are people getting theirs done and for how much? If that is just how much it costs then I am happy to pay it, but just thought it was a tad high.

You are paying for the scrap in the centre - perhaps you can nest some parts from other builders in there to offset the cost.

Been a while since I ordered up hardox on it's own but your piece would require a 720mm by 720mm by 40mm (give or take) piece off the bat which wouldn't be cheap.

I assume everywhere just gave you a flat price rather than material and time?

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    You are paying for the scrap in the centre - perhaps you can nest some parts from other builders in there to offset the cost.
    Does anyone want any 40mm hardox pieces?

The price for the ring without holes was £723+VAT, so most of that will be time.

Could always buy some bosch multi construction 10mm bits and go to town with a pillar drill. Should be able to get 2 to 3 holes out of a single bit.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-mul...l-bits-ax35478

I drilled our 10mm holes through the 20mm thick disc with two bits. They don't like pilot holes and interestingly coolant made them worse for drilling. Drilling compound worked best.

How many holes was that?

I can probably get a nice coated carbide drill and do it in my little cnc, if I take all the shielding off it should fit. e.g. http://www.cutwel.co.uk/hole-making/...eam-drills-5xd

I don't have a proper pillar drill which is a bit annoying. Might buy one just to do this!
    Last edited by TechAUmNu; 2nd September 2016 at 15:47.

4 holes but I nackered my first bit getting through the first with the pilot hole. The other bit got the 3 holes drilled no pilot in 10mm and could have continued drilling. I've use cobalt bits in the past and whilst they were good at getting through when sharp I did find that they dulled very quickly.

You want a very slow speed for drilling.

Register To Comment