Register To Comment

Thread: Chimera 2 - budget heavyweight

After rebuilding and competing with chimera it's time to start building our own heavyweight completely from scratch. The current plan for chimera 2 is similar to the old design as both are axlebots intended to be as simple as possible.the difference between the new and original is that we'd like the new one to be faster and generally more competitive than chimera. The only current problem is cost as we've had quite a few problems with using cheap wheelchair motors on the original and so would like to use better components we are aware that this raises the price quite a bit. we currently have a CAD design as well as a wooden model made by one of the
    team

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jordanmann; 23rd June 2016 at 21:06.

The 1KW scooter motors I'm using for Big Bully are around £80 each, which is about as cheap as they come without scrounging something.

Kinda reminds me of a robot from battlebots

Hi Rory
    we have been looking at scooter motors as possible motors and that is looking like the best option we are mostly looking at the 800w versions.

Well I'm testing the 1kW version at reading hopefully so I'll let you know. Bare in mind that scooter motors are rated by their peak power, where as Bosch 750s are rated by peak efficiency, so on a Bosch 750 has around 1.2kW, so an 800W scooter motor has a fair bit less power.
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 25th June 2016 at 16:30.

image.jpg
    Motor options for chimera 2 at the moment are

1) Keep using wheelchair motors but run a sprocket and chain so that the shafts don't get broken like in chimera 1. However this will mean that the robot will be pretty slow. Alternatively we have a bigger gear on the gearbox shaft and a smaller one on the wheel although how much we could gear it up before the motor struggles to move 100kg we don't know.

2) take the motors out the gearbox and gear it down via sprockets and chain but has the same problems mentioned

3) 800w scooter motors geared down via sprocket and chain

4) mobility scooter motor unknown wattage via sprocket and chain

Register To Comment