Register To Comment
Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Coolspeedbot: first feather weight robot

So lets just say I had written out a essay long bit about my research but I didn't want to bore people (and the fact the page froze and lost what I written) so I decided to share the concept for Team Coolspeedbot's first featherweight.

Currently this robot is using the working name BOOTH-E

The idea is a ram/ wedge bot that can run either way up and still be effective as a wedge.

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 08.38.35.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-29 at 08.38.54.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-29 at 08.39.09.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-29 at 08.39.27.pngScreen Shot 2016-05-29 at 08.39.42.png

I should point out this is more of a design on what it might look like as some of it is not scaled correctly. And the design might change down the line.

The main delay to move on from concept and research is due to me still being at my student accommodation and me and my team (most likely made up of my family) need to sort out a budget for the robot parts.

Hi guys a small update I redid the model to design the frame and how the front section of the wedge will be fitted.

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.26.11.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.26.24.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.26.43.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.26.55.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.27.10.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-08 at 01.27.25.png

the idea is that the front section of the wedge is one piece and would be fixed to the front of the frame and the side panels would add extra support. the size is 43.5cm x 35cm x 10cm although that can change depending on the size of wheels that I end up using.

On the hardware front my Uncle (who wanted to be credited) provided me some of his old drills to help start work on the drive motors.

I also bought a Sabertooth ESC from FRA member Laser, should do the job.

Gave each component its own colour to make the different parts stand out.

I added markers for the bolts and screws to help plan out where they're going.

the orange parts are the internal parts of the bot the receiver, ESC, battery and motors.

the dimensions of the receiver are base on the Lemon-RX 6 channel receiver, the ESC's dimensions are based on the Sabertooth 2x12 ESC I bought from Laser and the battery is based on a 5 cell 18.5 volt lipo battery.

As for motors... well I made a rough guess on the size as I haven't the dimensions of the motors and gear box of 12 volt cordless drills or 18 volt cordless drills.

I also made a hole for where the removable link can go.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 12.10.01.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-11 at 04.46.09.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-11 at 04.46.19.png

the design makes it possible for the blue section of the wedge to be removed and replaced.

Small update, I noticed that there was a huge empty space between the wedge and electronics. I also noticed I had 0.5cm to play with, height wise.

so I made a second model that cuts down the wasted space.

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 01.43.10.png

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Looks good, make sure you get spare sides made in case they get hit. I'd love to be able to CAD like that but can't be bothered learning.
    Don't worry David I'll be making spares of everything to insure I can keep it running.

As for CAD, I am not using a CAD software, I'm using the next best thing my Autodesk Maya software, I worked with this software enough to make it work as a CAD.

Well this update has the first physical aspect to the build I took the measurements from my maya model and put them on to cardboard to get a better idea of it's size and check my measurements add up.
    cardboard parts.jpg

but now I found my first setback I can only afford to get 20mm and 10mm HPDE sheets, but the design needs 50mm and 30mm sheets to make the wedge and mount for the wedge. well seeing as the wedge is mean't to be removable anyway I'll just focus on the main section for now.

I did a small edit to the model, keeps the new length but the main frame has been increased from 21cm to 23.5cm in length to insure that theres space for the cables and I planned to have the cables from the ESC to the motors and removable link run under the motors. I also planned out the metal plates to protect the battery.

Screen Shot 2016-06-20 at 12.32.07.png

looking very professional!

Thanks, I'm an animator (by trade) and I simply used the same approach as I would do an animation. Plan out every aspect before even making a single frame of animation.

In this case I am not starting to build any piece of the robot till I'm 100% sure the plan and research is finished.

I already changed the design twice due to my research.

Register To Comment